P5Q-5 New Build Bios Update Q

lardy

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Hi,

I'm going to do a 'first build' and I have a couple of, probably silly, questions.

Planning on using a P5Q-E with a Q9450, 4GB RAM. Every component will be purchased new for the build so none will be pre-tested. I don't have a lot of "spares" or unused parts on hand for testing or that are known quantities at this point nor the ability to borrow any. I know the board is a brand new release from ASUS. I see that there are already 2 bios updates for it since June. I know the board should support a q9450 out of the box but also assume it will have the original release bios when I get it. So, first silly question is, at what point in the build process should one try to update the bios and if it needs to be done early how do you do it without a built system?

Second silly question. Does it make sense to try to assemble a minimal bench configuration first before putting everything in the case; mobo, processor, HS, PSU, RAM, and then test for a minimal POST and set RAM timings, or just install everything in the case and hope for the best? Remember, not a lot of spares on hand in case in won't POST. Frankly I'm concerned because the RAM is planned to be 2 x 2GB of 1066, 2.1V, 5-5-5-18 and there are precious few (if any) of those kits on the QVL plus plenty of reports that the first boards in the P5Q series seem to be RAM-picky.

Anyone who wants to outline a basic procedure for this will be my hero.

akhilles

Splendid
1) I build the barebone on the mobo box like one of those pictures posted by overclockers, flash bios if need be, test the build with memtest, before putting the barebone in a case. I'm not mentioning the minor steps like hooking up, clear cmos and swapping out chipset cooling. I don't use stock cooling.

2) Yes, see #1. Unless you have a pair of needle-nose-plier-shaped hands, it's not easy to read the ram when everything is in the way: gpu, hsf, cables, etc.

lardy

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
OK thanks. That was what I was after. But how exactly do you flash the bios and run memtest in this configuration with no drives attached? I've never done either before without a CD/DVD or OS available. A bootable flash drive stuck in one of the back USB ports while it's on the box? And can one USB drive do the bios flash and also hold the bootable memtest stuff or do I need a couple of flash drives? This is where I'm confused and unsure what order to try these steps and what to have onhand so as not to mess the board up, experimenting as I go.

Also I do have a couple 2x1 sticks of working DDR2-667 ram around. I would imagine that this board/processor would post at stock voltage and speeds with 667 on board. Does it make sense to start with that to set timings, then install the faster, high volt ram and run the tests?

I've reviewed several online tutorials about building and none of them deal with these things. Yes, I'll be using aftermarket cooling too. A Xig.

akhilles

Splendid
Prior to buying a mobo, I do my homework on its specs, overclockability, pros & cons, some benchmarks. Then I download all the latest drivers & bios to a CD & floppy. And look at the layout & install in PDF to familiarize myself with the board.

Clear cmos. Hook up cpu, hsf, ram, gpu, floppy & psu to the mobo. Short PWRSW pins to power on. Load bios defaults. memtest can be on floppy. Once memtest checks out, flash bios if need be. After, I swap out the stock chipset cooling.

You need to look up the manual for how to flash bios. Not all boards support usb drives.

No, you don't have to have a backup memory stick. Try each stick in each slot. It will be stable just enough to post, but not enough to load windows. Set up ram to specs. Install the rest. Memtest it. Put it in the case. Load windows.