which is the better option between these 2

meowth

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
I have an ecs geforce 7050m-m motherboard that has integrated graphics. I also have an extra visiontek x300se that was taken out of another system after an upgrade. I am trying to find out which is better to use. The system will not be used for games. It will only be used as a pvr using the silicondust hdhomerun. The recorded files will be transferred to another pc for viewing/editing ect.

Any opinions on which is the better option?

There are VERY few motherboards that have good onboard graphics. The ones that do have dedicated memory for the GPU onboard like the 780G boards.

It's always wise to favor the dedicated video card, it doesn't share memory with the system. I would install the x300se and disable the integrated graphics on your mobo. It will give you better performance an leave the otherwise shared resources for other use.

Better performance, but not by much. I had an X300 in a system and it was pretty awful. IIRC, the X300 also uses TurboMemory, so it will end up sharing resources anyway, just not as much.

meowth

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
thanks for the replies. i will go ahead and put the x300se in it then. i dont really want to sink any other money into this system right now. i just havent been able to find much info on how the onboard graphic this motherboard has stacks up performance wise so thanks for the help.