XP home vs. pro and remote desktop

I am needing to work from home and want to use remote desktop to access my
work computer. We are thinking about getting a new laptop which probably
would come with XP Home. Do I need XP Professional on my home computer since
that is what we have at work? What is the difference between Home and
Professional? Also, it seems most of these computers come with Microsoft
WORKS and I need the office suite. HOw compatible are Works documents? I
have Works on my desktop at home now and when I try to open documents at work
I am not able to. And finally, can I buy XP upgrade to upgrade from Windows
ME on my current home desktop? Thanks for any input.
1 answer Last reply
More about home remote desktop

    No, you can run the Remote Desktop client from Win98, Me, Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

    For the differences in XP Home and Pro

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

    As far as I know, the only features of Works and Office that is compatible is Word. If you need Office you should order the PC with it.

    And yes, you can purchase an Upgrade version.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "dragonfly_fl" <dragonfly_fl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:597A7263-93DB-43A8-A559-746A8374EACF@microsoft.com...
    >I am needing to work from home and want to use remote desktop to access my
    > work computer. We are thinking about getting a new laptop which probably
    > would come with XP Home. Do I need XP Professional on my home computer since
    > that is what we have at work? What is the difference between Home and
    > Professional? Also, it seems most of these computers come with Microsoft
    > WORKS and I need the office suite. HOw compatible are Works documents? I
    > have Works on my desktop at home now and when I try to open documents at work
    > I am not able to. And finally, can I buy XP upgrade to upgrade from Windows
    > ME on my current home desktop? Thanks for any input.

Remote Desktop Microsoft Windows XP