Windows XP won't install from a disc

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
hey so like 5 or so days ago i tried installing windows 7, i got this windows 7 disc from my laptop which i made for a recovery (acer recommended it) so i tried installing it, it was fine up until it said setup is installing devices and got stuck at 49% and then i left it for the night and i woke up the next moring i turned off my computer and turned it back on i got an error about i have to reinstall windows 7 or something and then it restarts when i press okay, i tried installing windows xp from a disc but all it does is it says booting from disc..... and then it comes up with the windows 7 thing and then says the error again and restarts i have no clue what to do and i dont have a working computer anymore help!

I'm guessing this is a different computer from your laptop so Windows 7 wouldn't have worked anyway - the disk you made is only a recovery option for the system that made it.

Two ways out of this - buy a new copy of Windows 7 and install that on the old XP machine or use an external source to format the disk and try putting XP back on - if you have a CD. Post back for advice on the latter if you decide to go down that route.
[/#000ff]

I had that happen to me before. I couldn't figure out what the deal was. Out of ideas, I hit the auto-adjust button on the monitor. That's all it was. The dumb monitor wasn't aligned, and I couldn't see the 'press any key' message. :pfff: Stupid monitor.....

That also frequently happens in the Repair option where the number of the system to repair disappears off the left hand side of the screen and people don't realise it's a number they're supposed to type. Another one of M$'s little annoyances - all sent to try us.

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
okay so i was looking around under my house becuase like you said maybe the disc has a problem i found a disc for my other computer the acer aspire t100 the disc has windows xp so i put it in my computer booted from cd and it came up just fine (didnt have to press anything to boot) i choose english, and if i wanna wipe the harddrive and everything then it tells me to insert disc to so i do and it takes like 2mins till it finnally goes to the next screen after pressing okay but then comes up with something about ghosterr.txt the options yes or no i chose yes it says something i forget and goes to the screen before where i can choose yes or no i choose no it tells me to insert disc 1 then it reboots... i dunno what to do

p.s i can't find my old vista recovery discs.... D:

It sounds like the drive is having a hard time reading the disc. It could be a scratched or smudged disc, or a failing drive. Try cleaning the disc with a few drops of water and a soft cloth.

When you say 'other computer,' this recover disc isn't for the computer you're using it on? That's going to lead to problems with drivers and maybe activation.

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
nope it's completely clean and no scratches, becuase we always have it in the case thingy lol, well im gonna test something with download an xp version (i know im bad but im desprete) and put it on a usb thing and make it bootable

The Acer disk can only go as far as finding the Ghost recovery options it's seeking on a Partition your machine doesn't even have so the CD you're supposed to examine for scratches is the original. Is it a proper XP disk? Could it be a copy which wasn't burned properly and isn't bootable.[/#000ff]

escriven

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
I need some to help me too. I just bought a new xp cd and it wont boot. It started then it stoped. it asked it I want to repair or install at first i hit "R" was asked to enter admin login..don't have one after three failed attempts I was asked to restart. I did,,goes to press any key to start from cd...then to setup is....then the screen goes black and stays black. Like I said I just got a new CD today and don't want to have to take it to someone to get it started for me that will only take more money and like I said i just spent money to get the darn cd. Any suggestions would help.. Please help me.. thanks

tim_93

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012

can u tell me how to install a copy of windows xp keep getting errors and keeps doing different thjings when i go into it
\819 827 0051