upgrade Pentium D 925 to ??? on Intel DP965LT mobo

I admit it, I can no longer follow Intel's bewildering array of chips!!

Am looking to upgrade a Pentium D 925 currently sitting in an Intel DP965LT mobo. Any suggestions?

The board supports the Core 2 Duo's, but is (apparently?) limited to 1066 FSB, so the E6850 and E8400 (which are 3.0Ghz like the D925) with 1333 FSB are out? Do I have that info right?

So what would be the "best" cpu choice? (that is, would be faster than the D925, and supported by existing mobo)

I primarily use the PC for Photoshop et al, so i think 2 cores is plenty, guess i'm primarily concerned with raw clock speed on single-thread apps. Is there a viable upgrade path for that mobo?

Thx for any advice
4 answers Last reply
More about upgrade pentium intel dp965lt mobo
  1. since your board supports core 2, just get the highest clocked one you can find (probably the E6850), or get a Q6600. If you do any video editing, the 4 cores will help significantly.
  2. Any one of the Core 2 products will be faster then the D925. If you can get a Q6600(BIOS 1612 required) you will be very happy with the speed increase. Plus you will have 4 cores. If you do not want to spend $200 get any of the Core 2 Duo E6600, E6700, E6420.

The newer E6850 is 1333 FBS that will not work

Supported CUP list from intel for that board
    http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?Boardname=dp965lt

Please note some of the older Core 2 Duos will be harder to find, But will be easy to find used.

Photoshop will use all the cores. You will see a huge increase in filter and changing masks.

1Haplo
  3. Excellent, thank you both!
    (particular 1Haplo for that link, how'd i miss that? doh!)
  4. get a high clock cpu since i doubt you oc much with intel mobo - many do not oc much

i recommend the 6850 since it's clocked high and should work with your system
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Pentium Intel