System trying to access the net when videocam video is payed

freeko0

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Hello,
Is it normal for my computer to try and access the internet when i go to play back a video i made with my on-board webcam? Recently i had a severe virus infection that involved having the system cleaned professionally. My desktop had one rootkit and several trojans, and the laptop had several trojans too. Up until that time i had been using the free version of AVG. I called MicroSoft since the bug had apparently made it impossible to revieve any windows updates. They hooked into my desktop and said there was an active hacker at work. So I had it cleaned. Since then I have installed a store-bought virus program. I set the firewall functions to maximum just to be safe. Then I started reading about how easy it is for these people to gain control of my webcam. I decided to mess around with it by making a few brief videos. I went to the My Video file and clicked play. immediatly my anti-virus program gave me an allert saying that [all i can remember it saying at this point was something "unotherized"] wanted access to the web. What is going on? is it normal forr my computer to do this?

Thank you for any and all input you csan provide.

Your AV (whatever that is) might have a TAB on the GUI to view blocked accesses, outgoing as well as incoming, if it has any functionality like a firewall. If so, the program, and path to the file may be named, so you can un-install or delete it. It is possible that the cleaning you had done was not as complete as one would hope. Also, if you have a firewall installed, check its logs also.

freeko0

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Thanks for your reply...

I am using Webroot. Since I posted this, i have installed malwarebytes as well. No threats were detected using it, or with the Webroot program either,k for that matter. I haved the virus program set to 'Warn if any process connects to the internet unless explicitly allowed'. I still do not understand why my computer would need to access the web simply to play back a video that I made on my own system.

Nothing in the log files ? Have task manager running & screen print or otherwise note what resources are running. Play the video, then check resources again. What is different ?