Sign in with
Your question

New e7200 need help please!!!

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 12, 2008 1:53:28 AM

Ok. I haven't built a computer in several years but have never had this much trouble before. I have a new p5e-vm hdmi motherboard and a e7200 with 4 gigs of gskill ddr2 1000 ram. For some reason I'm only showing one core in PC wizard. Core #2 shows a constant load of -1%. I have 2 processors from the egg now as I thought the 1st one was defective and now i'm thinking its my motherboard because the one I got today was the same way. I've tried version 0405, 0505, and 0506 of the motherboard with no changes. I've messed with settings in the bios and nada. Can someone please give me a idea cause I'm going :pt1cable: 

Thanks in advance,

Goose

More about : e7200

June 12, 2008 3:08:40 AM

Do ctrl-alt-delete then under cpu usage history is there two boxes rectangular boxes with the green grid in it? Those would be your 2 cores.
June 12, 2008 3:09:59 AM

Try running a game or application that shows multi core performance, I think they have a version of PC mark thats free but I'm not positive.
Related resources
June 12, 2008 3:15:15 AM

What does the BIOS say at startup? Try another program. Use windows control panal to check if you have 2 cores. It might be the program you are using does not work with the new E7200. Try another PROGRAM like www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php I know it works with the E7200.
June 12, 2008 4:40:08 AM

Try downloading and running CPU-Z.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 12, 2008 12:03:41 PM

ctrl-alt-delete shows 1 box box. CPU-Z runs but shows false readings. I have cpuid hwmonitor as well. All show one core.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 12, 2008 2:31:01 PM

Anyone have a clue why my dual core would be running on one core? On two different chips and after updating the bios 3 different times? I've tried auto settings and setting the specs manually to no avail.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 12, 2008 2:39:34 PM

What version of Windows are you running? Win XP or Fista?

Which version of the p5e-vm do you have? Is it the p5e-vm D0? Because if it is, the E7200 isn't supported until BIOS 0702.

Is this the original processor in this motherboard / windows install?

If by chance you had a single core CPU in this board previous to installing the E7200, did you re-install windows? Windows will rarely detect the change in the number of cores on it's own. I have seen this on these very forums. The most reliable way to fix it is a complete re-install of Windows. Some have had success with updating hal.dll, but this is a hit an miss proposition as sometimes the extra core is found, but then never utilized.

If it is the original and windows just messed up and detected it as a single core, a re-install is unlikely to help. Then you may have to manually update hal.dll and hope for the best.

I found this information on a quick search, it refers to windows xp, there seems to be some pretty good information about fixing this post install.
http://forums.2cpu.com/archive/index.php/t-78221.html

Well I hope some of this helps.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 12, 2008 2:54:07 PM

Dude, i didn't reinstall windows!!!! Had no clue that it would matter because I actually had a different Asus board that I didn't like so I rmaed it and got this one. It's a HDMI version btw. Excited to do a fresh windows install. I was planing to do it anyway but never got everything setup to begin with. Stupid of me to think xp would work correctly. Checking your link now. TY so much for the tip.

Goose
a b à CPUs
June 12, 2008 7:18:38 PM

Well thats your problem right there. A new mobo on a old windows install. Adding a new cpu also on top of that.
!