Can you help point me to the right motherboard?

moez

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
I'm getting ready for a new build. It will be my first one and I'm a complete newbie.

I'm building the PC with my son and I have two main goals in mind. First, my son wants to be able to play crysis at high settings. Second, I want a PC that I can keep (without upgrading regularly) for at least 3 - 5 years.

That said. We have decided to go with the Q6600 and the HD 4850 graphics card. I was originally looking at the Gigabyte DS3R motherboard, but was told in another post that I should go in a different direction. One poster mentioned :

A P45 board is not a good recommendation for someone who wants the best future upgrade capability for the graphics. The P45 chipset does not do 2X PCI-E X16. Currently, this capability in Intel based boards is limited to the X38 and X48 chipsets

I was hoping to spend less that $150 for the board..... Do any of you have any good recomendations given my goals for the PC?

I'd really appreciate any input that you have.

Thanks!
Moez

xringx

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Well, the 2x PCI-e 16x slots is for crossfire set ups (2 of the same video card on 1 mobo)

While its nifty to play with, you will enjoy just as much upgradability with a single slot mobo such as

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128344

If you need to upgrade in the future, game performance wise, then buying a new and update to date video card will do you just fine.

As far as I can tell, no need for Crossfire for gaming unless your a bit anal retentive and like to play with that kind of stuff and do benchmarks like me.....

That is my $.02 worth

blackwidow_rsa

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
A P45 will do fine, it has 2 x8 pci-e2 slots which provide enough bandwidth for CF, no need to waste your money on a board that gives you -maybe- a few extra fps in a game