Sign in with
Your question

ARGH RAID IS PISSING ME OFF

Last response: in Storage
July 31, 2009 5:19:29 PM

It's true :( 

I've got the MSI 790FX-GD70 mobo running everything fine, But I want to run my 2x WD 500GBs (sata) in RAID0...something that I find very confusing to do. I look at many RAID guides, but the Integrated Peripherals page has no standard RAID options... I can go to 'On-Chip ATA Devices' and set the 'RAID Mode' to RAID instead of the default IDE, save and reboot. I get a 'Checking Drives' text and it tells me to press CTRL+F to configure the drives. So I set my drives to run RAID0, strip size 128kb (games ftw), and the 'Fast Init' and 'Gigabyte Boundaries' to NO... I stick in my Windows 7 RC disk and everything is working... but when I get to the 'Custom' part, it asks me what disk it wants me to install Windows 7 on... it tells me something like 'No drives found.'. At the bottom, it asks for some sort of driver so it can recognize the drives, so then I go to the MSI website for the extended manual with the RAID info, and it tells me to go in the mobo driver disk and go to Chipset>AMD>Vista>Packages>Drivers>SBDvr>SB7xx>RAID>x64.. and copy the RAID driver to a floppy (aint got one), CD/DVD (only got one DVD drive), or USB flash drive. So obviously I went for the USB flash drive, and did all that great stuff, and install the driver, but it still doesn't recognize any drives at ALL. I tried to set up RAID for about 8 hours now, and any help to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciatied.

And I though setting up RAID would be a easy thing to do...... Maybe I should of sticked to a single 10k drive :( 

More information: Have the drives hooked up to SATA 1&2 which is controlled by AMD SB750, it supports RAID 0/1/5/10/JBOD. AMD SB750 has 6 ports, 1-6. There is a second RAID controller (JMicron JMB322), but from the looks of the manual, it seems as if you need the OS already installed, besides, I already tried this the first thing I did and nothing happened. JMicron JMB322 controls SATA 7/8.

More about : argh raid pissing

a b G Storage
July 31, 2009 5:52:33 PM

buska103 said:
I've got the MSI 790FX-GD70 mobo ...Windows 7 RC disk...'No drives found....it asks for some sort of driver so it can recognize the drives

You need Win7 specific drivers in order for the Win7 installer to recognize the SB750 RAID controller, hence recognize the array to install Win7 on to...and unless the drivers offered by MSI are specificlly for Win7 then there is (almost) nothing you can do...you might be able to load the Vista drivers, if you try to use the Vista drivers, juist remember to use the 32/64bit drivers depending on whether you are installing the 32 or 64bit version of Win7.
m
l
July 31, 2009 7:27:12 PM

chunkymonster said:
You need Win7 specific drivers in order for the Win7 installer to recognize the SB750 RAID controller, hence recognize the array to install Win7 on to...and unless the drivers offered by MSI are specificlly for Win7 then there is (almost) nothing you can do...you might be able to load the Vista drivers, if you try to use the Vista drivers, juist remember to use the 32/64bit drivers depending on whether you are installing the 32 or 64bit version of Win7.

The board I have is compatible with Windows 7, well atleast it says so on their website.
And doesn't Vista and 7 work about the same? Because they have the name operating kernels or whatever?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
July 31, 2009 10:39:42 PM

Saying something is "compatible" is marketing-speak for it will work when, in this case with Win7, when the final the product is released. Having drivers for the specific OS you are running is something altogether different.

Given that Win7 is built on Vista is the reason I suggested using the Vista drivers.

If there are no specific Win7 drivers available or if the Vista drivers are incompatible with the Win7 installer then you have no choice but to switch OS.
m
l
August 1, 2009 2:37:16 AM

I just won't use the RAID0 configuration.... maybe by the time the full Windows 7 comes out and they have a Windows 7 driver, I'll buy it and wipe my HDDs to use RAID0.

Thanks anyway.
m
l
March 7, 2010 9:52:57 PM

Don't know if you ever resolved this, but I experienced a similar problem. MSI finally issued Win 7 RAID drivers (both 32 and 64 bit). Don't know if they work, as I'm still experiencing BSODs with the win 7 install myself, but at least I was able to install the OS.
m
l
!