• Configuration
  • Data Recovery
  • Computers
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
September 7, 2010 12:06:12 PM

I have just replaced the IDE hard drive in my Mesh Matrix XP2600+GTI Computer. My next task was to re-install Windows XP Home with the Recovery CD I got when I purchased the computer. The bios recognises the new hard drive but when I try to use the recovery CD I got with the computer I keep getting the message 'PRESS A KEY TO BOOT' When I press a key the computer goes through a short routine but comes back to the message on the top left of the screen 'PRESS A KEY TO REBOOT'
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Terry

More about : hi

September 7, 2010 2:47:07 PM

Is that message coming up after you used the restore disk or is this when you try to use the disk? Do you see a message to hit a key to boot from CD? Look for that message, and hit a key when you see it, that will boot to the recovery disk.
Anonymous
September 7, 2010 6:05:25 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Is that message coming up after you used the restore disk or is this when you try to use the disk? Do you see a message to hit a key to boot from CD? Look for that message, and hit a key when you see it, that will boot to the recovery disk.

Many thanks for the info hang-the-9. I have now installed XP. Bad news is that when I go into properties of the hard drive I installed (320GB), it only gives 130GB capacity (same as the old drive) and not 320GB as it should be with the new one. Any ideas to a solution welcome.
Regards
Terry
Related resources
September 7, 2010 6:17:20 PM

Did you delete and create a new partition in the drive during setup? If not, since you just installed XP with nothing else, go back and do the setup again, and make sure you check for parts about installing in a new partition. You want to delete the existing one, then create a new one and format it for NTFS. It will tell you the maximum size of it, you should see the full drive size listed there.

Unless your computer is old and does not have the ability to see a larger drive size, then you will need to fix it with probably a BIOS update.
Anonymous
September 8, 2010 9:06:11 AM

Thanks hang-the-nine, I will give that a go and let you know what happens.
September 8, 2010 4:55:40 PM

You need to slipstream an updated service pack into the install disc. XP had a 137GB limit in it's early stages. Download SP2 or SP3, and use nlite to slipstream it into an install disc.
http://www.nliteos.com/

You may also need a BIOS update, but I'd start with the SP.
!