Sign in with
Your question

Which p35 boards will recognize e8200

Last response: in Systems
May 8, 2008 11:24:01 PM

I did some research but could not find a satisfactory answer. I am building a system for a friend and need to know which board will support 45 nm tech natively.

I hear the Giga P35 DS3L will support it but I wonder if it extends to more expensive boards like the DS3P I have picked out.
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E168...

I mainly want to know so I don't have to end up buying something like a celeron just to flash the bios.

Also, is there much difference between the DS3L and the DS3P? For instance, would the DS3L bottleneck an 8800 GTS (G92) card?

Thanks for any help you may provide.
May 8, 2008 11:32:30 PM

windndust said:
I did some research but could not find a satisfactory answer. I am building a system for a friend and need to know which board will support 45 nm tech natively.

I hear the Giga P35 DS3L will support it but I wonder if it extends to more expensive boards like the DS3P I have picked out.
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E168...

I mainly want to know so I don't have to end up buying something like a celeron just to flash the bios.

Also, is there much difference between the DS3L and the DS3P? For instance, would the DS3L bottleneck an 8800 GTS (G92) card?

Thanks for any help you may provide.

It should recognize the cpu. But if the stock is old, you might need bios update.

As for bottlenecking gpu, no. Gpu bottlenecking has to do with cpu, not motherboard.
Related resources
May 9, 2008 10:10:21 AM

^
^
2nd dagger.

The P35 chipset is fully compatable with the new 45nm CPUs regardles of the make.
At most, you may need to update the BIOS if it is old stock.

All P35 Mbs have 16x PCIe 1.1 which will not bottleneck your GPU.
Your choice of CPU, however, may bottleneck your system.
May 9, 2008 1:37:50 PM

The P35 is compatible with all 45nm CPU's EXCEPT the extreme quad cores. You need an X38 or X48 for those.
May 9, 2008 3:41:08 PM

Thanks for the replies, the feedback is helpful.

However, I do have a few more questions, with one concerning outlw6669's post.

outlw6669,
How is it that the CPU would bottleneck the system? Isn't the e8200 a fast processor?

And my second question that came to me:
Does the motherboard bottleneck the CPU? For instance, would an overclock be faster on a higher quality board as opposed to a lower quality board?

thx for ur help
May 9, 2008 9:04:46 PM

^Yes the E8200 won't bottleneck the PC. The motherboard also dose not bottleneck the CPU.

Overclocking will not be faster clock for clock on a higher end (X38) based motherboard, how ever you might be able to get higher clock speeds on a X38 board, mainly due to the fact that there are RAM limitations/problems on many P35 boards (esp. with DDR2 1066 RAM).
!