nVidias going F@HOME!!!

Great news, looks like theyve got it coming "

Apparently we aren't allowed to talk about specifics on performance of the client, mostly because the numbers we saw were based on an "upcoming NVIDIA GPU". I don't think I'll be spoiling anything by saying the new GPU was incredibly fast and the upcoming GPU will be faster than any Folding client today including the PS3; you will be impressed" If this is true, just one more can o whoopazz on those awful cpus heheh, even the multicored PS3s http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=5679

Anyone familiar with F@H knows how the PS3 came in and really impacted the amount of F@H clientsf the PS3 could do. This is even faster. The PS3 has a 8 cell prossesing unit in it. So, beware cpus, here come the gpus. Anyways, anyone not familiar with F@H or Folding at Home, go to the cpu section here in the forums and see if you want to try this, its a decent thing to do, and it gives your rig something to do when youre doing nothing

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
I have tried F@H a few times... but I was never impressed with it. I just didn't feel like I was really doing anything.

The idea of F@O his great. I am all for it. Now that we will be able to take advantage of the 128 cores in the GTX or however many in the card you may have is great. Anything that can show how crappy the PS3 is, I am all for! Nothing wrong with the PS3... I just don't like it.

F@H is setup to hopefully cure cancer and other diseases. Once F@H actually brings home the bacon, we can all share in its (our) victory. Its an admirable thing to do/use, to help better ourselves down the road. Im just hoping that so many people own nVidia cards, and if the client works on the 8 series like were all hoping, itll have another huge impact like the PS3 did when it entered into processing clients

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
I like the PS3 alot more than the Xbox which breaks down lol thats y I sold my 360 and got a ps3.

Anyways

the ps3 is equal to 2 6800 or 2 7800 GTX isn't it? (i think its the 6800s from what I remember)

took them long enough.

Yep 3 years to get a client working on nV hardware, which makes me wonder, did they change the hardware or finally after lotsa work develop a new client (GPU3 ?).

If it's a new client I would think it'd work on the G8x/9x series too, if it's a new architecture change then it would only work on the GTX280; however also maybe the double precision issue means they'll artificially limit it to the GTX280.

I'll also believe the PR slides once the thing is actually out in the wild and we don't have another number come up due to another missing-mul type issue. But for now, looks pretty impressive considering that the previous GPUs were doing a dang fine job, to more than double the results will be interesting to see what's up.

Funny thing is everyone making a big deal about PS3 numbers, but they've been running second place to GPUs like the X1900XT for a long time.

Main thing is the potential for more folders. That's what was nice about the PS3, over 500,000 PS3 users use the folding in the down time.

Folding at Home is a process that runs on cpus , gpus, and the PS3 It has the ability to use quad core cpus, single duos etc. The PS3 is the latest, where the cell processor works for it, and currently the 1xxx series on up ATI cards. Its simulates in 3D a protein as it folds, (essential in growth of proteins) Sometimes those proteins fold incorrectly, and can cause cancer and other diseases. F@H is here to help us understand why they mess up, and maybe thru this understanding, cures can be found. Its very admirable to do, and hopefully will come to fruition someday