The Volume ShadowCopy Service is Not Working

GirlySue

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
My tried to turn on my Security Service Cener and I get a message that says it will not startup I hae a Norton 360 it says everything is working ok but when go to my AT & T Trouble Shoot and ResolveTool it tells me that my system doesn,t
have a proper anti-virus application installed and to take action in fixing this problem. I was thought my Norton 360 was
also an anti-virus software I went to system restore to fix the problem and I got a message that said The Volume Shadow
Copy Service used by this system restore is not working and to view the event log. It,s error essage was Ox81000202 so
now i would like to know how to fix this problem. I tied downloading AVG didn,t work, Mcafee didn,t work either. HELP
HELP, HELPi surely appreciate it.

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Some Windows Services need others to work before they can and in your case, both the SecurityCentre and Volume Shadow Copy are dependant on Remopte Procedure Call (RPC) before they can start.

However, you have a lot of work to do first in getting rid of the extras you installed - AVG and McAfee. I wold personally recommend also losing Norton but i fyou paid for it and you like it, keep it. If you haven't paid yet, uninstall it, go to Microsoft's own website and download Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free and works better than the others.

After doing all that and a few restarts, go into Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services and check that RPC is set to Automatic and is started. Then set VSC to Manual and start it. Security Centre should sort itself out but if you got rid of Norton, start the Windows Firewall by opening Security Centre and clicking to turn the firewall on.