when i downloaded the hard drive diagnostic utility it had an error message.
"error starting program"
the file is linked to missing export KERNEL32.DDL:process32NextW.
Then another one:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.
how can i test drice C with a diagnostic utility. how can i fix the problem.
thanks.

Run chkdsk and defrag in WinME - might be that your installation of WinME is
corrupted. Then, try to install XP.
I would try a clean XP install, though - you need a qualifying OS CD.
Michael
"mikedv" <mikedv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> when i downloaded the hard drive diagnostic utility it had an error
> message.
> "error starting program"
> the file is linked to missing export KERNEL32.DDL:process32NextW.
> Then another one:
> A device attached to the system is not functioning.
> how can i test drice C with a diagnostic utility. how can i fix the
> problem.
> thanks.

It could be a corrupted diagnostic utility file. Try downloading another
copy of the diagnostic utility and see if the same thing happens.
Are you having specific problems with your hard drive that you need to
usethe hard drive utility or are you simply curious as to whether the
utility will bring up any problems?

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

"mikedv" <mikedv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> when i downloaded the hard drive diagnostic utility it had an error
> message.
> "error starting program"
> the file is linked to missing export KERNEL32.DDL:process32NextW.
> Then another one:
> A device attached to the system is not functioning.
> how can i test drice C with a diagnostic utility. how can i fix the
> problem.
> thanks.

I am having a problem. I am trying to install WinXP home edition on a WinME
and setup is fine until it starts installig. A blue screen comes up and it
sayes, "setup determines that drive C: is corrupted and connnot be repaired"
so i have to exit.
Im not sure but I might need to replace it. What do you think?
thanks

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> It could be a corrupted diagnostic utility file. Try downloading another
> copy of the diagnostic utility and see if the same thing happens.
> Are you having specific problems with your hard drive that you need to
> usethe hard drive utility or are you simply curious as to whether the
> utility will bring up any problems?
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>

> "mikedv" <mikedv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > when i downloaded the hard drive diagnostic utility it had an error
> > message.
> > "error starting program"
> > the file is linked to missing export KERNEL32.DDL:process32NextW.
> > Then another one:
> > A device attached to the system is not functioning.
> > how can i test drice C with a diagnostic utility. how can i fix the
> > problem.
> > thanks.

You already have Windows ME installed. Is the copy of XP you have an upgrade
or a full retail version?
You could start by running scandisk from Windows ME to see if that throws up
any problems. If it doesn't then (and here i am assuming you have a full
retail copy of xp rather than an upgrade) you could try formatting the hard
drive using a Windows ME startup floppy - i assume you created one when you
first installed ME? *Before* you begin make sure that you have backed up any
important files and/or documents that you need to keep. Once you have backed
up any files you need to keep then insert the floppy into your floppy drive
and boot your pc. Select to boot with CD support from the menu so you have
everything loaded. At the DOS 'A' prompt type: format c:
You will be advised that 'all' data on your hard drive will be destroyed.
You have to accept this before the drive will reformat. Once the reformat
has finished try installing XP again. If the problem still persists it may
be the hard drive. But please be aware that once you have reformatted you
have lost everything. The only thing you can do afterwards is either replace
the hard drive (if xp doesn't install) or re-install windows ME. Again i
assume you have the necessary Windows ME CD?
You might also like to open up your pc case and make sure that the data
leads are secure on your hard drive and motherboard.

--

>I am having a problem. I am trying to install WinXP home edition on a
>WinME
> and setup is fine until it starts installig. A blue screen comes up and it
> sayes, "setup determines that drive C: is corrupted and connnot be
> repaired"
> so i have to exit.
> Im not sure but I might need to replace it. What do you think?
> thanks
>
> "John Barnett MVP" wrote:
>
>> It could be a corrupted diagnostic utility file. Try downloading another
>> copy of the diagnostic utility and see if the same thing happens.
>> Are you having specific problems with your hard drive that you need to
>> usethe hard drive utility or are you simply curious as to whether the
>> utility will bring up any problems?
>>
>> --
>> John Barnett MVP
>> Associate Expert
>> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>>

>> "mikedv" <mikedv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > when i downloaded the hard drive diagnostic utility it had an error
>> > message.
>> > "error starting program"
>> > the file is linked to missing export KERNEL32.DDL:process32NextW.
>> > Then another one:
>> > A device attached to the system is not functioning.
>> > how can i test drice C with a diagnostic utility. how can i fix the
>> > problem.
>> > thanks.

TRENDING THREADS