Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Replacement Hard Drive

Last response: in Storage
August 1, 2009 1:55:46 AM

I have an older SamsungSP0802N harddrive. It is working just great. I realize you can only get so many years out of electronics which raises this question. Are there any websites that show harddrive compatability? Crucial has a great website for Ram upgrades and compatability, and I was wondering if there is such for harddrives. Also, overkill is not needed, just one with all matching cables.Thank-You for taking the time to read this.

More about : replacement hard drive

a b G Storage
August 3, 2009 6:12:12 AM

I don't understand... hard disk to motherboard compatibility is less of an issue than RAM compatibility. Are you talking a site that lists hard disks and if they support SATA, IDE, etc? If so, your best bet is to use NewEgg's search filters.
m
l
August 4, 2009 2:50:55 AM

r_manic said:
I don't understand... hard disk to motherboard compatibility is less of an issue than RAM compatibility. Are you talking a site that lists hard disks and if they support SATA, IDE, etc? If so, your best bet is to use NewEgg's search filters.

The real question is whether or not hard drives are compatible with my Pavilion a614n.I didn't know New Egg had search filters,I will try them. Thanks for your reply!
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b G Storage
August 5, 2009 1:44:49 AM

The best thing to do would be to open up your computer. If the harddrive is connected to the motherboard with a wide (about 1in) flat cable then its an IDE. If its a smaller red cable its SATA. Then just buy the appropriate drive.
August 5, 2009 10:41:03 AM

Thanks for the information. Now I know how to tell an IDE harddrive from a SATA harddrive!
m
l
!