darthblingbling

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
I tried to switch on my PC today only to find that it switched off in less than a second. I made sure that the heatsink and fan were properly connected and then tried again... no good. So I took the CPU out and switched it on and voila the PC booted - well it didn't switch off anyway.

The motherboard isn't making any beeps or anything so I'm kinda worried that my motherboard may also be to blame. So my dilemma is witch part to RMA as it is a lengthy process.

I have no spares to test either component nor do I know anyone with addiquate parts.

My CPU is the E8400 and my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA - P35C - DS3R.

Any opinions? Googling seems to confirm that when the PC is instantly shutting down, the CPU is dead

darthblingbling

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
Also of note is that I've just noticed that some of the gold circle things on the base of the CPU are discoloured. The corresponding pins in the socket are the same.

Is this a sign that they have burned. Is my motherboard damaged too?

I can take a pic if it's too vague.

davidejr1

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
First, what are your system specs? psu, memory, .....etc. Second, did you flash the bios on your motherboard to the latest update? If your system shuts down the way your saying it MIGHT indicate a bad cpu. I would think it would be best if you can get a cheap cpu to test that out. RMA's are a hassle so it would probably worth buying rather than have no system for two weeks. Also it would help to see a pic of what you meant by discolored because it is kind of vague (CPU and Motherboard).

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

Ahhhh... that isn't a good sign for the contact pin.

I'd say something got fried while your were away, so I'm assuming a power spike/surge can do that.

If you could so a pic of that, the bottom of the CPU and MB socket, that would help other see whats happened.

darthblingbling

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
Thanks, I'll get a picture sorted later.

My PSU is a Corsair w620hx and the memory is Corsair 2x2GB at 5-5-5-18.

I'm going to just take it directly to the shop I bought it from tomorrow to have it RMA'd back to Intel. I'm happy on my laptop for now, will just have to give gaming a hiatus for now.

I've lost the heart to care all that much at the moment.

Thanks for the help though, I'll upload a picture of the discoloured contacts at some point.

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

That is a horrible sign. Vary nasty indeed. Might indica fluid or condensation inside the box ? Although is not very commom with a working CPU and HSF on top of it.

Bad, bad sign.

Usually when mobos/PSUs do that (shutdown after turn on) its because something is in short circuit, or some voltage is feed backing or returning from where they shouldn't. That is my my experience. Good luck and send pics !!!

darthblingbling

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
It's hard to see the discolour in the photo, but it is obvious when you look at it directly. I've circled it.

discolour.jpg

nhanandmel

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
From my knowledge you should still be able to boot up the computer even if your CPU is not in, right? You should atleast be able to power it up. Correct me if I'm wrong though, just something I remember reading in another forum.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Hmm.. I was thinking it was much worse then the pic shows. I was hoping to see the socket pin array, but I guess it must have slipped your mind.

I'd say the CPU contact pin are okay.

Going back on your 1st post. Has this new build been running? Or did you just put it together?

Can you tell if there any bent pins in the socket pin array?

The MB should power up without the CPU, but you will have no POST screen. To get a POST screen you need CPU/ one stick of RAM.

But if you have bent pins in the socket, that would cause it to shut down very quickly. I've read past threads that had the same problem, and the user said the same thing about it powering up without the CPU.

darthblingbling

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
The pins all look fine.

The system has been running for 4 months before this happened.

No overclock.

I took the CPU back to the shop today, they tried it on their computer and it didn't work. So they're sending it back to Intel for a replacement which they say will take between 20 and 30 days which is pretty ridiculous.

I decided whilst I was there to buy the cheapest s775 CPU they had to test the motherboard and tide me over until my E8400 comes back. I try the new one out and it does the exact same thing. So it's now pretty obvious the motherboard is dead or at least the socket is faulty. So I'll have to take this back to other shop (wish I'd bought it all in the same place).

Anyway, as I have said before the motherboard does power up when the CPU is absent and the memory remains. This led me to believe that the CPU was at fault. It now seems that the motherboard 'bricked' the CPU.

Seems pretty obvious now don't you think?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Umm... I'd agree that perhaps the MB failed, since it regulates the voltages for the CPU's needs.

But if there is a discoloration (which is hard to see in your pic) I'd say that was more of a power surge/spike that took its toll on the whole system. I'd get the other components checked out, via RAM/Video/Sound/ect that is separate from the MB.

darthblingbling

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008

It's gonna be a big trip to Scan. Lucky I live in the same town.

darthblingbling

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
Motherboard was faulty. Everything else survived except the CPU. I noticed that the heatsink on the northbridge was pretty loose so this may have been the cause of the damage?

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

Might have. But i guess the CPU shouldnt be 100% good to fry like that. It is quite rare to see a broken CPU. Or burned like that and the PSU survived. ( NO OCs ofc).

darthblingbling

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
To be honest I've got a sinking feeling that the CPU isn't actually damaged. I bought the CPU from another shop and the guy at returns didn't seem particularly knowledgeable.

He tested it in his system and it wouldn't boot up, but unlike mine it did keep power. He declared it dead and had it sent back to Intel for RMA, but there is the chance that his motherboard wasn't compatible with the E8400 or needed a more recent BIOS, a problem I have seen in numerous forums.

prochobo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
Time to start swapping parts. I'm thinking its your mobo. I've had a 965P DS3 crap out on me the same way yours is doing. It would come on for 1-2 seconds with all fans on, then shut off immediately. If you've already done the standard BIOS reset procedures (leave battery out, short jumpers, etc), then try to swap mobos.

TRENDING THREADS