Blue screen of death

colflo101

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
hello i have just got my phenom 2 940 i have tryed some overclocking i have just increased the multiplier and the vcore and left all the other settings at stock when i run prime 95 on blend test and small fft i get the blue screen of death aftera couple of minutes what could be causing this and do i need to change some other settings i know this cpu has an unlocked multiplier please could anyone help me with this issue as iam new to overclcking thanx

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
if the BSOD problem started when you began this overclocking adventure, then it is reasonable to say you pushed the computer past its limits. try bumping the voltages SLIGHTLY (try to stay below 1.4v). this is something you should try after you conferm it is a CPU issue. to make sure it is your CPU causing the problems, return the speeds to stock and run prime95 for a wile. if you get a BSOD, it is something else.

colflo101

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009

hello again when i increase the multiplier do i need to increase anything else its just when i increase it from like x15 to x16 and then i run prime 95 it goes into blue screen of death surely i dont need to increase the volt core already do i just need to change the multiplier or do i nned to change other settings thanx for your advice

colflo101

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009

sorry i didnt tell you but my system runs fine when i have everything at stock it just blue screens when i overclock the cpu its just when i increase the multiplier it seems i have to bump up the voltage straight away even going from x15 to x16 thanx again

rberry

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Not all processors are the same, you might have one that needs a voltage increase immediately.

Keep trying and you will find your grove, I dont have any experience with overclocking your particular cpu, but

I have heard and read alot about how easy they are to o/c.

Good luck

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
remember, when you overclock, your whole system is being stressed. if your RAM for example isn't very OC friendly then your computer wont be able to OC very well.

colflo101

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009

can i just change the multiplir when overclocking and the vcore voltage and leave all other settings at stock using the phenom 2 940

colflo101

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009

can i just change the multiplir when overclocking and the vcore voltage and leave all other settings at stock using the phenom 2 940

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
what voltages are you getting? try to stay below 1.4v when OCing a 45nm processor. also, what does the BSOD say, take the technical information(should look something like: 8x0000 (more random numbers in here)) and plug it into google. that could tell you a lot about the problem.

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
1) I would not just OC by increasing just the multiplier. That puts a lot of stress directly on the CPU vs. the cpu and the hypertransport link (or w/e the AMD version of FSB is)

2) Bsods while stressing are generally cause by having too little voltage for the OC on the cpu making the computer crash and have to reboot. Its a thing for anyone OCing

colflo101

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009

thank you for your advice what settings would i need to increase as well could you give me a bit information how to do it if you could please am new to all this thank you very much

colflo101

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009

thank you for your advice what settings would i need to increase as well could you give me a bit information how to do it if you could please am new to all this thank you very much