damgyeah

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I recently built a pc around limited buget and came up with

Q6600
4G DDR2 RAM
8800GT 512mb
250GB SEAGATE 3.0gb

Anyway, I am using my old HDD which is about 2 years old WD 100gb with current has xp installed. And Old 430W Power Supply.
Now, i don't know if it's Power or HDD or memory or ??? my computer freezes for 1sec every... hour or so. :??:
i don't get blue screen or anything like that just freezes for 1sec and back to normal and this repeats every hour...

I think it's my old HDD which was used for AMD CPU + ATI Graphic card, etc... before. And I didn't do anything but just replace everything to new except for HDD and the OS in it.

Could be my power supply is too weak? Idk... Any Help Please?

PS. how to check if my power supply is ideal for my built? or needs more voltage?

jv_acabal

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Hey man, nice specs! Based on experience, the 1sec freezes you experience don't seem like HDD, PSU, nor memory problems. Perhaps the old OS in your HDD is optimized for your old AMD system configuration. Try reinstalling your OS with your new system.

damgyeah

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Sadly yes... I needed all the files on HDD for work, schools, etc.
I moved all of them to my server so i am ready to go but just lazy -_-

Anyway do you think 430W PSU can uphold my spec?
I've ran few PSU calculator and recommended 500+.
Damg.

fjabad

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Well, I would save all the files you need to some other storage location. Then reformat that drive and start clean!

As for your power supply, what brand and model power supply is it?
I think it would be best to get a new one as 430W is definitely pushing the limit. It might be okay if you don't do any intensive tasks that load your system, but even then, it would make me nervous.

damgyeah

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX Power Supply
is what i've been using for 3 years... and still using with new build.
yeah i should reformat and start clean... i hate this process btw.

oh well.