georgerudy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Hi,

I have around 28 folders in the recycle bin and all of them have a file size of 0kb. I tired to delete them several times but it keeps throwing a message that some DC363 is protected and cannot be deleted. I tried to empty the recycle bin and it still throws the same error. I tried running it in safe mode as an administrator and ran the rd /s /q c:\recycler command and then did a delete. Now when I log in to the computer the recycle bin icon shows that its full but when I open it there are no files that I can see. But if I do an empty recycle bin, it again asks me if I want to delete the 28 files and it tries but throws the error message again. I am thinking my recycle bin is corrupted. Is there a way I can delete it and have windows create a new recycle bin? I read on another forum that all I have to do is rename the existing recycle bin and windows will create a new one. But will I be able to delete the previous one then? I have also tried the unlocker software to delete files but not much luck there. Any help would be appreciated.

Turn on "show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "hide protected operating system files."

See if the folders show up now. If they do, empty the bin, if not force them to show by adding a little change to your registry...

Copy and paste the following part in red into notepad, do "save as" and give any name you like and have the extension be ".REG" the "save as type" must be set to "all files" to preserve the .REG extension. You can also just go into regedit yourself and make these changes by hand.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"Hidden" = "2"
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"ShowSuperHidden" = "0"
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoDriveTypeAutoRun" = "145"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL]
"CheckedValue" = "0"

Now double-click your new file you just made and answer "yes" to the question "Do you want to merge into registry."

Now see if they show. If they do, empty bin. If it will not empty, right-click the recycle bin and select to not have files moved to the recycle bin, and make the setting global to act on all drives.

After you click Ok, go to each drive and delete the recycle bin entry. You will be warned that you are deleting a system file, so what.. the recycle bin is disabled.

Now do a chkdsk on the drives that includes automatically repairing file system errors. You will need to re-start for this to happen, do it.

After Windows completes the chkdsk and Windows is running again, go back to the recycle bin and enable it.

georgerudy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
I tired this but it didn't work. I have only one drive on the computer. I am not sure how to go to each drive and delete the recycle bin entry. But I tried making the changes to the registry and also ran a chkdsk on it but the recycle bin still shows up as full. When i try to empty it, it throws the error message that DC365 is protected and Access is denied.

Right-click the recycle bin and click Properties. Under the Global tab you will see how to disable the recycle bin. Once disabled, the recycle bin contents can be deleted using Windows Explorer. Look at the root of the drive for a folder named "RECYCLER" and delete it. Answer the warning that you are deleting a system folder with "yes to all" and it will be gone, including the empty folders it contained.

I said to run chkdsk just to clean up any loose ends, but the folders you said were empty, so there shouldn't be any leftovers to be concerned with.

With the "RECYCLER" folder gone, you can now go back and re-enable the recycle bin. The "RECYCLER" folder will be re-established, empty.

If your mystery folders come back later, then something is obviously putting them there and you'll just have to live with it or track down what is putting them there.