Buying a new system need some help.

kewlgui

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Howdy guys, just need some help with buying a new computer.

Off the bad here is what i am planning to buy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883107658

I am going for a pre-built system because i am scared that if i buy the wrong part that the whole computer will fail ( i have got 2 friends who have had major problems with custom build computers). All i want is a computer that will last me for awhile and is upgradeable.

Couple more questions then i am outa your hair. Is the vista 64 bit home going to be a problem, i know that the 64 bit is a bit flawed and i don't want to be disappointed. And the NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT, will that be enough to run the top end games out today. And i have a friend with a 8600( i think, its around 8600 ) and his computer freezes about 10 times a day, all because of the NVIDIA card. And i don't want that problem. Ohh and one more thing, i am planning to use the 12month no pay payment thing from newegg, and i was wondering if that is a bad idea.

I think that is it and i am sorry for the horrible engrlish. I ain't never been goods at the engrish.

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide

leo2kp

Distinguished
1) you might have problems with compatibility on a 64-bit OS. Go with 32bit in your case.

2) you can have major problems with any PC, even pre-built. the problem with custom PCs is that people end up picking cheap parts to save money. when you see Dell and other pre-built machines, those companies have major buying clout. they can get almost anything at near-cost which means cheaper PCs. so when people who don't know about computers much decide to build their own, they buy cheap parts thinking that they're OK where in reality they're not. you will end up spending more for a custom PC than a pre-built from Dell or Gateway, but you will spend tons less than if you paid someone to build you a custom PC.

3) 8600GT will not run the top end games out today very well. you'd be better off with an 8800GT at least, then moving up to an 8800GTS 512 or a 9600GT 512.

4) the fact that he has an 8600GT doesn't mean all of those cards are bad. there might be a load of problems associated with freezing such as RAM, processor, HDD, PSU, drivers, heat, etc. don't use his problem to steer you away from a certain part unless it's a major issue. research the problem first.

5) 12 month no pay thing from newegg can be good or bad. if you know you can pay it off within 12 months, go for it. but if not, the interest rate can hurt you really bad. it took me nearly 4 years to pay off a $1,500 credit card at 40% interest and eventually needed help from a friend. don't do something you're going to regret in the future. research the terms so you know them like the back of your hand or you will get burnt. but it's your credit, so do whatever you feel :p