Sign in with
Your question

PC built...keeps crashing?/restarting

Last response: in Systems
May 9, 2008 1:50:05 PM

Just finished my build with the following components:
1) GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX Ultra Durable II AMD Motherboard
2) AMD Phenom AM2+ 125W 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
3) SAPPHIRE 100225L Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
4) Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
5) Antec Sonata Plus 550 ATX Case
6) SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Windows 98SE/ ME/ 2000/ XP
7) SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B (2 of these)
8) LITE-ON 52X CD Burner Black ATAPI/E-IDE Model DH-52R2P-08
9) Windows XP Pro 64-bit OS

Everything was running good, but I started installing drivers and now the system keeps shutting down as if I pulled the plug, then restarting. It seemed to start right after I installed the motherboard drivers. Do I need the RAID drivers from Gigabyte?
Windows sees all 8GB of RAM and the devices all are working without problems (except I can't get the CD-burner to work-it has power and operates, but Windows doesn't see it)
I am not sure if it the drivers or not...is there anything else I should look for?
May 9, 2008 2:32:53 PM

Would help if you listed where you have the SATA devices connected to. But to start optical devices should only be connected to SATAII 0 - SATAII 4. The GASATAII_1 and GASATAII_2 do not support optical drives.

So with your two optical SATA drives and your one SATA hard drive connected to the SB600 chip along with using the one IDE optical drive you need to make sure in the BIOS on the Integrated Peripherals page that the OnChip SATA Type is set to Native IDE, having this set to SATA->AHCI mode would explain the IDE Burner not showing up.

You do not need any RAID drivers for your setup. The only ones you should be using in the system you have listed are AMD Cool & Quiet CPU Driver (only if you plan on using Cool & Quiet) Realtek HD Audio Driver (will require a Microsoft Hot Fix for HD sound but will give you a link to get it before you install) Realtek Gigabit Ethernet NIC Driver, and last ATI Series South Bridge driver (which will also come with the driver for your ATi 3870 video driver) so when you install your video driver its going to update the ATi South Bridge drivers as well.

What memory are you using? There have been problems with the board using 1066 memory. Also which BIOS version is the board running? Look in your manual and it will show you where to find the BIOS version the board came with.
May 9, 2008 2:41:56 PM

Did you set the memory to the right voltage?
Run memtest86+, run hard drive diagnostics.
Could be the power supply also.
Related resources
May 9, 2008 3:35:11 PM

I have the SATA HD and the Optical drives on SATAII-nothing on the 2 GSATA.
Memory is 4 x Kingston HyperX 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model KHX6400D2/2G, I will check the voltage and BIOS.
I had AMD cool & quiet installed, but really didn't think I needed it, I have a 120mm rear fan and am installing 2 front 92mm fans. With the front open, and side off and fan on low I think it was at 40C.
Is there any way to check just the PS? Disconnect everything but a fan and see if it stops?
I will give these a try and see how it goes...thanks for the help!
May 9, 2008 3:52:18 PM

Try taking out the CD burner. I had this behavior with a GA-P35C-DS3R once when trying to add an IDE hard drive - maybe it's related. Why do you need a CD burner anyway, if you already have two DVD burners that can burn CDs too?
May 9, 2008 4:15:34 PM

The info on BIOS version will be a help, there are 5 BIOS versions for the board. I've had mine for about 3 months now and it came with version F3, there have been two new ones since then. Version F5 fixed some CPU compatibility problems.

evongugg could be right as well, with the power demands of the Phenom and your video card, along with some Antec NeoPower PSU having problems on new systems it could also be a problem but as for checking on that, you can by a tester or take it to a shop that can test it. One question on the PSU the plug near the top of the board, are you using four pin connection or does your power supply have the eight pin connection and are you using the eight pin?

Wouldn't hurt to try disconnecting the IDE optical drive as well as suggested by aevm
May 9, 2008 6:10:43 PM

Another thing that may be driver related, I can only get 60Hz refresh rate when setting my display settings. I have access to a lot of other freq's when the box for unsupported rates is unchecked. I figured this card should handle several more than just 60Hz.
The screen is an Acer AL2216Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor with HDCP support. My son has the same screen with a VisionTec 2600 and it allows a wide range of refresh rates.
May 9, 2008 6:57:32 PM

Does your son use the same resolution as you? I think a lot of LCD monitors are limited to 60Hz at 1680x1050.
May 9, 2008 7:35:15 PM

I had a similar problem with XP x64 video driver. Be sure every driver you install is for XP x64.
May 11, 2008 11:34:51 PM

Ok...getting frustrated here...
I got everything running, instaled all updated drivers, everything was OK for awhile, then when executing certain programs it won't boot past the Windows XP 64 screen-can't even get to password sign in. It will start fine in safe mode. The things that have caused this are changing screen settings, which then quit causing it, and updating to wmp 11 64 bit, it crashed when it asked to verify windows.
I'm stumped!
May 12, 2008 3:04:43 PM

Stoner133, you actually solved my problem on your earlier post...if I would've tried it that is. I had the 8-pin power supply on the board, then another connection directly to the video card, but Gigabyte manual said to use the 4 pin on the board if using 2 video cards. Last night pluged PSU into the 4-pin and Voila! No more problems!
Thanks to all for the help.
!