GA-P35-DQ6 with Crucial Ballistix Tracer (2 x 1GB) PC2 8500

byteless

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I RMAed this and they sent me another one. but since I got the new one, I was having another issue, I was seeing the BSoD in Vista ultimate,

Memory diagnostic test radom failed and passed, Mem86+ also failed and pass sometime.

I tried 2 combinations including CAS changing from 5-5-5-15 to 5-5-5-18. not sure what else I can do..

I also increased the voltage (the default is 1.8V, so I provided 0.40 to make it total 2.2V).

I actuallly provide all the way from 0.05 to 0.40 and memory test failed all the time. only on 0.40 and 0.45 it pass the test, but then I randomly see the BSOD in vista, its random, sometime, with 2 hours it crashed, sometime in 1 day, the longest it go 1 day and then BSOD.

Should I RMA the board?

what is the best combination should i use for CAS and what is the best voltage should i put it in.

what are the best settings for this broad with this memory?

appreciate your help guys.

Thanks,

System Specs:
----------------
VGA:XFX GeForce 8600GTS 675Mhz 256MB PCI Express x16 SLI Ready V
Monitor:ACER 21"
MotherBoard:GIGABYTE GA-P35-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU:Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core
Sound:eek:nboard
Memory:Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 PC2 8500
PSU:550 watts
HD:Maxtor 500GB
Cooling:Rosewill RCX-Z775-EX 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

byteless

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
after lowering the speed to 800MHz system seems working and stable.

But now what is that mean? should i have to run the PC on lower speed, infact I paid for the higher speed memory?

is there any other way around?

thanks for your rely.

byteless

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
After fighting with this memory since couple of months now, I finally give up.
I tried all possible BIOS combination in fact tried to run this
memory with 800 speed rather than 1066, but no luck yet. its not
solving the problem even if I run not dual DDR (different banks on
motherboard)

My system is getting the BSoD infect 5-8 times a day since the
beginning. its not passing the vista memory test either, sometime it
does but when I re-run the test it fails again. Also vista keep
crashing blue screen of death.

any other suggestions??

seraph2099

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
Just so you know,

I have a P35 chipset mobo, an Asus build. I have Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC-8500 Ram, a 2gb kit (1gb x2)

been having constant BSODs at least 4-5 times a day sometimes every 15 minutes. Been driving me insane and I've been trying diff voltages and such. Anyhow, I finally decided to head down to my reseller, who supplies me with computer gear and he tells me that the word is out that Crucial Ballistix Tracer series has a huge compatability problem with all P35 chipsets and mainly with Asus ones. They seem to cause problems after a short while so Microbytes (my reseller) simply said they stopped carrying Crucial because of that mistake. He also told me that Dominator has 100% recall on ram so best to go with OCZ ram. I bought some PC8500 ram from OCZ for 55 dollars and that is what they have recommended and shown that will fix the BSOD problem.

His suggestion was to buy new ram vs buy a new board :D board is great.

Anyhow I'll be installing the new ram now and he suggested to do some stringent memory testing which I shall do. Anyways I'll post my results later!

Peace,

Seven

seraph2099

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
alright bro so what ended up happening is that the P35, like some said has some really hit or miss compatability problems, it seems to be RAM brands, but sometimes the speeds, timings, voltages. For example I'd get full stability at 1066mhz with regular timings if i overvolted my ram to 2.3v but thats pretty dangerous considering the heatsinks are not meant for that and the trade off is not worth it.

The new OCZ ram gave me the same EXACT problems.

conclusion, I retured the ram, kept my Ballistix and bought me a P45 mobo. Asus P5Q.. best deal ever now that I have it, its incredibly solid, its packed with a lot of value tools and features and everything I've read about the P5Q is excellent.

Hope it helps!

byteless

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
seraph2099:

Just want to make sure that this is what you are using with your ballistix right?

well if I need to change the board I have to do it, can't work like this.

Also whats the use of this board? can I sell it, if yes what reasonable price you think I can get for my gigabyte board?

Stupido

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
I also have P35 but DS3R version and had no problems with memory... Initally I had very cheep 800 MHz (A-data or so) and later I switched to 1066 MHz (Kingston HyperX) and again no problem.. I even overclocked the kingsotns (4x1GB) to 1140 MHz and running stable with timings 5-5-5-15... (of course @2.2 V)
So I don't really think it is your motherboard...

bilbat

Splendid
There's a GREAT Gigabyte forum over at:
http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69
You'll find a pair of step-by-step 'stickies', one on RAM testing/tweaking, and one on GB overclocking. Follow the instructions carefully, and odds are 90%+ that you'll find your board/component's OC 'sweet spot' w/no further assistance...

I've heard that Gb boards, in general, 'like' Mushkin RAM. Not to say others' WON"T work, just that Mushkins seem to take less fiddling with, and if you ARE willing to fiddle, might OC better. I'm planning a new workstation, and was going to buy 8Gb OCZ 1066 as it was a little cheaper, & they seem to have good support (especially at NewEgg) but, it seemed to me, I'd GLADLY pay $15 a stick to cut several hours of cursing at the BIOS while tweaking.

Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS