PC powers itself back on after shutdown

stool24

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Hello

I will just post my problem and if more detail is needed in reguards to the hardware I will add them later.

When I shutdown my computer from windows (XP64 or Vista64) it shutsdown and powers off but after about 2 to 3 seconds it powers itself back on. I have checked that there is no power settings in the BIOS that are causeing this and I have also tested a different power supply with the same results.

Anyone have an idea what may be causeing this?

stool24

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I am using "shutdown" in both vista and xp - vista is currently installed
Also an added note - when the pc is off and the power cable is connected or the power supply switch is turned on the computer will boot without pressing the power switch

stool24

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks for the help georgy - I am at work and I will check this when I return home and post my findings - any other info required?

stool24

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Sorry for the delay - I have checked my power switch connections and they are correct.

Another thing that happens some times - when exiting the bios the computer will restart but not post - fans and lights come on but no beep and the screen stays black. I am wondering if I have an issue with the motherboard?

Would my specs help? And whats the best way to compile them?

stool24

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I was reading on an asus forum and 3 other people have this problem. A poster has replied saying that its an issue with this board (P5E3 Deluxe WiFi-AP@n) and the ASUS AI REMOTE being installed even if the usb sensor is disconnected. I will remove and try again.