Sign in with
Your question

Need help with the COOLER MASTER RC-690's fan setup

Last response: in Systems
May 9, 2008 9:23:09 PM

I simply love the look of this case, and it can hold a crazy amount of fans (i think 120's-140's)

2 120mm top fans, 1 rear 120mm, 2 side pannel 120mm, 1 front 120mm, 1 bottom 120mm, and one rear processor 80mm exhaust.

heres a link in new egg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

Tryin to find the best pictures so u guys can see it from all sides.... heres some more:

http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/1254.html

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/77909585/m/655007947831 (post by BiggyShake)

ok thats just about all i can find. If you need anymore shots just google the name and pictures and ull get a bunch of em....

Heres my question. This is my first build... ever... im planning on buying another 3 120mm fans to go with its 3 stock fans.

What would be the best fan configuration for this case?

It looks like i can mount the powersupply fan down, so it can suck in air from under. i was planning on mounting 2 on top, 1 rear all as exhaust.

The top fan that can be placed on the side panel i dont think i can use, because the heatsink will take too much space.

The bottom 120mm on the side panel im not sure what to do with. Im going to SLI 2 8800GT akimbo's so im not sure if the side panel should be an intake or exhaust...

Also the front instake 120mm worries me a little bit. the 3.5" drive bays block it, by alot it seems. I was thinking of cutting these out if possible, and getting a converter bracket for my hard-drive. (anyone recommend any?)

Also there is a bottom 120mm (near the Power-supply) i assume this should be an intake.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

More about : cooler master 690 fan setup

May 9, 2008 9:53:20 PM

Im not a fan of the side mount type fans - even if it is above the GPU.
My suggestion would be two front fans, the rear fan and 1 top fan.
3.5 HDD adapter to 5.25 bay Another source

Maybe a fan controller for one of those 5.25 bays? Lots of nice mod ideas at FrozenCPU.com
May 9, 2008 10:00:22 PM

WR2 said:
Im not a fan of the side mount type fans - even if it is above the GPU.
My suggestion would be two front fans, the rear fan and 1 top fan.
3.5 HDD adapter to 5.25 bay Another source

Maybe a fan controller for one of those 5.25 bays? Lots of nice mod ideas at FrozenCPU.com

im not sure if it can mount 2 120mm's in the front tho

so the main idea is to keep the air moving in 1 direction? w/o interference?

*Edit* please keep in mine, my GPU's are 2x 8800gt superclocks. (standard 600 OC to 720) and im planning on OCing my Q6600 to 3.0 minimum, and if theres plenty of temp to spare maybe 3.8 if possible. i need maximum air flow in this case.
May 9, 2008 10:32:04 PM

Thats my working theory. I just wonder if the side fans cut off the bottom to top circulation pattern I think you'd most like to see.
I think you're right about the RC-690 - 1 in front. RC-590 does multi-front fans.

Your best bet is to use your temp monitoring software, changes the fans around (location and direction of airflow) and see where you can get the best temps. It maybe that having two GPUs together there's a dead spot in the bottom to top pattern that only the side fans (sucking or blowing) can fix.
!