Sign in with
Your question

9800 GX2 Performance Gain With new Drivers

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 24, 2008 2:56:47 AM

Well I finally got around to installing the new Nvidia Forceware 175.16.

I've seen significant increases in performance.

Crysis is now running very smooth.

At the Intro of the game, I would get around 30-34 fps when you receive your orders. Now my frames shot up to the 60s....its really interesting.

As I played through the game, the frames stayed over 60 and I was very shocked because usually they would dip every now and then to around 30.

The resolution is at 1280x1024.

I also tried Cod 4 but that game ran well before as well, the frames are just higher now. Really didn't mean much.

I'll try some more and create benchmarks.
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2008 4:45:33 AM

That's good to know man, do me a favor, tell me what drivers you switched from. Also, (no offense) but, why are you gaming in 1280x1024 w/ a GX2 ? Or is that just for playing Crysis. Anyways, I will do some of my own benchmarks for Crysis at 1920x1200 and post them here. What settings are you using ? AA or AF ? Ultra High ? High ? Cracked Ultra High ? Thanks man.
May 24, 2008 5:49:31 AM

Yes, get a new monitor and play at a higher resolution. You might be CPU limited like I am at 1280 x 1024 (still have a 17" CRT -- saving up for a 24" LCD). Both the 9800gx2 and 3870x2 cry out for 24" LCD resolutions to get the best framerates.

I really hope Huang decides to innovate and supports the next Nvidia dual GPU card on one PCB, and both Nvidia and ATI need to go to shared memory for the CPU, because both the 9800gx2 and 3870x2 are somewhat hampered by only 512 megs of RAM per GPU.

We'll probably see dual core discrete GPU's alongside quad core CPU's with one GPU core within a few years. The dual GPU cards are a step in the right direction, but Nvidia needs to get their thermals and power usage down a bit. The days of monster cards from any company are soon to be past.
Related resources
May 24, 2008 3:31:57 PM

everything was maxed out. THe AA was off because I really can't tell the diff in Crysis.

Windows Vista 64 bit.

I'm running it on this monitor because I blew all my money on the Wii fit, and MGS 4, but I'm getting a monitor in July for sure.

But check this out, the card is running max fan speed and the temps are 39 LMAO and 45 while gaming:D 

I switched from 174.74

Anyways I did some more tests.

Rainbow six Vegas 2 didn't benefit much from the drive upgrade, I was gettin 32 frames in the intro where you meet eveything and now i'm getting 39.

Unreal Tournament 3 runs with out and hiccups, and the Call of Juarez Benchmark finally runs smooth compared to 15 fps -40, now its at 30+ constantly.

Anywho benchmarks your card annisman and let me know:) 
May 24, 2008 4:20:11 PM

I also saw a insignificant boost in Crysis with the new drivers and my two 9800GTX's running with XP Pro 32bit. I have some of the settings set at Very High with the DX9 hack (shaders, physics, objects) and get around 50 FPS at the level you are talking about (1920x1200 no less).
May 24, 2008 4:30:57 PM

yeah I just hooked my computer up to my dad's HD TV and the frames still stayed over 60 i'm really surprised. OFC there were a couple of hiccups.

meh!

I had to overclock the GX2 to match 2 9800 GTXs though. lol
May 24, 2008 4:36:30 PM

I think ET:QW did not like the new drivers for me though. Had to reinstall and tweak the hell out of that game's cvars to get close to my old performance.
May 24, 2008 4:40:44 PM

yeah I had the same prob with call of Juarez benchmarks. but I restarted my comp and it went up:S

I swear computers will be a mystery:p  LOL!

meh!

I haven't Tried source engine but I doubt it will be any happier with the driver upgrade.

3Dmark, i'm not even going to try.

I'm going to buy age of conan and see what happens;)
May 24, 2008 4:40:52 PM

scooterlibby said:
I think ET:QW did not like the new drivers for me though. Had to reinstall and tweak the hell out of that game's cvars to get close to my old performance.

Which is also a reason I think I'm ditching the SLI setup and replacing it with one GTX280.
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2008 4:37:09 AM

Currently installing Crysis now, and I will bench it shortly, unfortuantely I will be using XP 32 bit, so the Very High settings will be disabled. I will run it on High at 1920x1200, would you please do the same. (run it on high) and let me know what you get.
May 26, 2008 5:32:53 AM

yeah sure. I have windows Vista though, and its Direct X10 enabled, which will stress it more, it will be hard to compare:S

EDIT: Can you just run the benchmarks at 1280x1024 so I don't need to lug the computer int he living lol?? if not I'll do it:p 

use this program : http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1791

EDIT 2 :

May 26, 2008 9:44:37 AM

actually the driver update from 174.74 to 175.12 did help since there were artifacting issues with rainbow six vegas 2 unless u go back to forceware 173.67
May 26, 2008 3:18:05 PM

Well my averages for 1920x1200 was 30.033 VeryHigh Settings:) 
May 26, 2008 3:32:00 PM

Annisman said:
Currently installing Crysis now, and I will bench it shortly, unfortuantely I will be using XP 32 bit, so the Very High settings will be disabled. I will run it on High at 1920x1200, would you please do the same. (run it on high) and let me know what you get.

You should try the Very High hack for DX9, it's ridiculously easy to do. Not exactly DX10, but enables a lot of the features that were supposedly DX10 exclusive.
May 26, 2008 3:51:24 PM

Here is what happens when you put the shader to low :) 

Low

High

Low

High

See look at the low ones, the trees look bland, even the water isn't what it is in high, also look at the rocks and terrain.
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2008 6:38:24 PM

scooterlibby said:
You should try the Very High hack for DX9, it's ridiculously easy to do. Not exactly DX10, but enables a lot of the features that were supposedly DX10 exclusive.

Yes, I know about the hack and I used to use it (When I used to run it 1680x1050) But now it seems that 1920* res is too stressful for my hardware. Liquid, I am downloading that tool now and will fiddle with it shortly.
May 26, 2008 7:44:23 PM

Very High:

Very High (Low shaders):

a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2008 12:09:09 AM

Nice work.

Lust for :lol:  s:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/200...
Note what they said for Crysis.

Quote:
Take a video-game-focused desktop designed by Gateway that sells for $1,099 instead of the $2,000 or more that they usually cost. Gateway lowered its price by eliminating the next-generation Blu-ray DVD drive found in most high-end PCs. And it put in an above-average processor instead of the top-of-the-line one typical of gaming computers. To make up for that, Gateway spent big on a high-end graphics chip that can crunch fast-moving video.

The result is an affordable computer great for playing the game Crysis. But it is a poor investment for someone who wants to watch a high-definition movie or create elaborate spreadsheets, which require a lot of processing power.

"It gets complicated, I'm afraid," says Nick Knupffer, a spokesman for chipmaker Intel.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2008 12:32:47 AM

interesting... try looking up the triple c pack on google... makes the game look better (in my opinon) and increases framerates...

i like it, maybe you will too
!