Computer screen going black

bannview

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
Hi there,
Wondering if anyone could help me. My sister-in-laws windows computer is going to a black screen every now and then while she is still working on it say typing a message for example when it will suddenly go to a black screen. If she then presses the power up button to reboot it it will then revert back to the page she was on and after another short time will go back to a black screen. Any ideas as to what may be causing this to happen.
Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give.

If this is a PC, try another Monitor. If problem persists, remove graphics card, wipe of dust, and reseat the card. MAlso, ake sure cables are firmly connected.

bannview

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
Hi there,
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
It is a laptop and I have no access to a monitor
I would not be capable I don`t think of removing the graphics card.
Would you be reasonably sure this is what might be causing this to happen because if so I would take it to a computer place I know and ask them to clean and reseat it for me. I don`t want to take it there initially as they could just tell me anything and charge accordingly. Both my sister-in-law and I are OAP`s and have to watch the pennies and as such I was trying to establish what it might be and if it was serious.
Ian

That is why I asked if it was a PC. Laptops have integrated components, and as such you just can't remove replace, etc, as you can with a PC.

Sometimes on laptops, from opening and closing the unit many many times, the wiring connection of the screen to the Motherboard becomes loose and can cause some problems. Other than that, I have no other suggestions.