Info about CPU needed. Intel vs. AMD

thedonquixotic

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
So I am building a computer for the first time and here is my choice. AMDs have a better rep, and according to cnet's own article smoke Intel. I can get a pretty decent one with 2.6 ghz for $46. I can also get a Intel for $69 with 3.4 ghz. Which is faster? Is AMD's advantage in efficiency enough that it can beat out nearly a ghz more clock speed? Which is faster, and which gets the most bang for buck in your opinions?

smartel7070

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Well you do not provide enough info for a good answer. We need to know what are the exact model you are talking about. Also need to know what you intend to do with your computer.

Right now Intel Core 2 Duo's and Quad's outperform just about every processor in the AMD family.

thedonquixotic

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Okay sure thing. Sorry about that. I am thinking about an AMD Athlon 64 4000+ vs. an Intel Pentium 4 550. I know they aren't top of the line, but I am kind on a strict budget, and since I am not looking to play crysis, that suits me. I am looking to play stuff like team fortress 2, and I do alot of digital art, so something that can handle application multi tasking and gaming. Not crysis level mind you.
If I am looking at dual core how about a 2.3 ghz Intel Dual Core Pentium 915?

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

Huumm, if you dont go Core 2 Duo Arquitecture, stick with your X2. Those pentium D are lousy performers. And you can slap that AMD on a 780 Board, and get High Def Playback, the best graphic IGP atm and overall a great board on the Value side. its a Micro-Atx so you can save on the PSU and Case aswell.

My 2 cents.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Ok, I really don't want to pull out this card, but I will. People are getting to the point where they just log on, post a thread and want everyone else to tell them what to do. I understand that everyone 'doesn't have the time to look or research', etc, but here is my take:

If you have the time to create a forum account, type in your questions and spend time reading and responding to all of them, you have time to do some research on your own. Google is your friend. The only way to LEARN is to figure some things out on your own. If you don't know WHY somethign is better or worse, then you really haven't learned.

Take a few minutes to search forums. It's simple, and most are broken out in topics and further divided into specific discussion concepts. Again, if you 'don't have time...' you see where I am going here. There are about 500+/each "should I buy a dual or quad", "nVidia or ATI" or "Intel vs. AMD" threads on Tom's Forums. Please, spend 10 minutes reading through several. Please.

If you aren't willing to do a little consumer research on your own, then maybe having complete strangers tell you what do buy makes you no more of a sheep than Joe Bob at Best Buy 'recommending' a $3000 system for you.

Edit: And why start 2 threads with the same information and topic on the same day, only minutes apart?

thedonquixotic

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I understand your point. Thank you. My posting in a forum was a form of research, and the reason I posted was because I wanted a more direct comparison between specific processors. You make a good point though, and I guess I should have checked the forum first.
Also I had two threads because I was trying to cover as much relevant ground as possible. Why do you seem so testy about this? You are right, I should check the forum, but there is no need to get mad. I am pretty new at this, and freely admit I have no skill when it comes to hardware.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

I second that. I thought i was the only one thinking that way. I have no problem with the OP but something is wrong about just starting a thread without any research. It's like going to the baker and screaming "I want Candy". That kind of stuff is usually reserved for 5 year olds and special people.

thedonquixotic

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008

Thanks for equating me with a retard.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

State your Total Budget and Exactly what Parts you need.

Computer is Assumed.
Do you need an OS?
Do you need a Monitor? Keyboard? Mouse?

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Forget about the Pentium 4's and Pentium D's; they were thoroughly beaten by their AMD counterparts.

If you're doing multitasking, get a dual-core CPU. The difference is immense.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Not sure, I might be a tad grumpy, but it is Friday, so it should even things out. I actually think I am in a pretty decent mood, IMO.

To be honest, there are many threads just like this, each day, and no one appears to do any looking before posting. And honestly, the answers are oddly always the same from those who respond. I understand the need to aquire knowledge, but please do check the forums. There are many, many threads and several stickies that range from simple hardware guides and recommendations to overclocking and customization and modding. Personally, I find its much faster to be able to read through other threads and then continue with my research than to wait on the trickle of responses in a thread I have posted.

Sorry if I was blunt and came off as a little rough. Just trying to help out a little in the most direct fashion. Good luck with your build...hope it goes well. There is much to be learned by many here, as well as much to ignore, depending on the thread and who posted it.

Howard_Stern

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
But really, what is faster? Hee hee, sorry. Rubix_1011 if I may say so, I think you are a little grumpy. If there's no posting like that, what else are we going to read and reply to? What video card is the best? Duh. What's the fastest processor? Duh.

I think you were a little too hard on the person. Go with the AMD.

BTW, I totally understand where you're coming from Rubix_1011, but I just think you were being a little harsh.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

I just worded it, the equation was there the very moment you started this thread. At least you are a well-mannered special person. Stick around for a few days and watch other 5 year olds come in and scream for candy at the top of their lungs. Once you slap one down, you're no longer part of the special crowd. ;)
Do a search for "4GB" and "32 bit" and you will understand it. Heck, if anyone ever asks me again "why do i have only 3.25 gigabyte of memory?" i will call the RAM-Gestapo and have that oblivious idiot dragged out to the desert to die.
Sorry.

thedonquixotic

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008

Thanks zenmaster. I actually think I don't need much more help, as some gave me a chart listing the cpus. Thats really all I wanted, and that pretty much solved the issue, as long as a intel dual 915 is close to a 920. Sorry about the cross post

Thanks for the info. I think I will go dual core.

Thanks, and I hope I didn't come as defensive or rude either. Thanks though, and now I am better educated. Whenever I need help I will be sure to take your advice.

Sure sure. I gotcha.

Anyway, as I said, I found that chart. I probably will be back someday in the future, but I never know. Thanks for everyone you helped me, or educated me. Have a good day!

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Mates, chill, is everybody anxious to leave work (and as bored) as me ?

He didn't swear, didn't used l33t speak, was more or so educated. I think your all just discharging friday tensions. Or ATI Nvidia Hype.

Drink the weekend Kool Aid. Its the best one really !!!

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

yup, we are all online, frantically browsing the forums to kill the last 30mins of bored at work !!

who bored in work here ?