smcbryde

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
I've attempted to install a working cd-rw (taken from another computer) as slave with a dvd as master.

On boot windows begins to load and then hangs, with the progress bar limping along (waited over 15 min).

Checked and rechecked jumpers and connections, BIOS shows the drive as IDE Secondary Slave [ATAPI CD-RW 16/1] with Access Mode [AUTO]. Also tried just the cd-rw as master with same hang result, while just the dvd as master boots fine.

I'm stumped, any ideas out there?

smcbryde

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009

Sorry for the confusion...I'm not booting from cd.

With the cd-rw installed, windows fails to load when I start my computer.

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
try booting in safe mode...if it works its a driver issue, if not it is a hardware issue and something is not right with the cd drive, connections, or power supply...I know this was not your question, but you can pick up another dvd drive really cheap these days. New you can get them from $25, and used they go for $5 or so on ebay. Not sure its worth the hassle if its not an easy fix.

I'd still check the jumpers on the two drives to make sure you don't have a conflict because they're both masters or both slaves. Another thing to check - is there a disc in the drive? If you've got a bad disk in there then the OS could conceivably be trying to read it and running into a lot of errors and retries.

smcbryde

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Nope, nope and nope.

Not jumpers, not connections, not a disc in the drive. I've attempted everything I could think of "before" posting my question. Including making sure it works in the original machine, attempting to install it alone as master, and using the cable select jumper placement.

It also works correctly in yet another Compaq machine running XP. The original machine (were it came from) has 2k on it and works correctly. This problem machine has XP and starts correctly if only the dvd drive is installed.

I'll try the safe mode approach and see what happens.

smcbryde

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Safe mode failed. I got a list of drivers, including atapi.sys, and then it just sat there.

I think it's time to just scratch my head and move on.

Thanks for the offered help.