Iomega External HD Not doing anything

BlueEyedFireCracker

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Hi, I have an external iomega external Hd that when I plug it into the computer the only thing that happens is you can see the green power light on. it does not show up in device manager, no auto play and does not show up in my computer. I have rebooted, unplugged and nothing seems to be working. Does anyone have any ideas? I have all my backups on there and pictures :(

wathman

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Disk management can be found under administrator tools in control panels if you haven't been there before. I'm assuming this is a USB based external drive? You can also try plugging it into a different USB port to see if that's not causing the issue.

BlueEyedFireCracker

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
I tried it on my desktop machine and it works fine but for whatever reason my laptop will no longer pick it up. I checked under disk management and it does NOT show up.... Yes, it is a USB external HD. I tried all 3 ports on this laptop and get nothing. I do know the uSB ports on this machine are ok because my card reader works fine in them.

wathman

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Your USB external has it's own power supply for plugging in? I'm asking because there are externals out there now that can draw enough power from the USB bus and do not have external power bricks. There's a remote possibility that your USB bus is not supplying enough voltage on your laptop. This type of problem is more likely if your laptop is a few years old. Mice, keyboards, and card readers can usually do okay at slight undervoltage. Without being able to test your laptop directly, I can't do more than make educated guesses, but since you say the drive works fine on your desktop and not your laptop makes this more probable.

G

No it does not show up in disk management it will not power up at all