Your question

Raid 0 with WD Blacks or SSD

Last response: in Storage
August 4, 2009 4:27:35 AM

My question is what’s the best bang for the buck to speed up the PC

1. 80 gig SSD for the OS with a WD black 640 as storage
2. 2 WD Blacks in Raid 0
3. SSD 80 gig for the OS with 2 WD Blacks in Raid 0

What’s the advantage of having the OS on its own HDD?
I really don’t need a lot of storage my WB Black 640 still has 500gigs free.
Just thinking I might want to try a raid 0 or a SSD out when I reinstall for Win 7

Thanks nik

More about : raid blacks ssd

a c 415 G Storage
August 4, 2009 4:56:29 AM

What sort of work do you do on your PC? What kind of system and how much RAM do you have? Is your disk light blinking a lot when your system seems slow?

The SSD will probably work wonders on your OS disk and drastically reduce startup and application load times. Beyond that, whether or not it speeds up the actual running of your applications depends an awful lot on what they are and what kind of I/O they do.

Before looking at a disk upgrade you want to be sure that any excessive disk activity you have isn't being due to paging activity caused by insufficient RAM.
August 4, 2009 12:15:33 PM

#1. Option 3 would obviously be faster, but there's no need for RAID0 with simple storage drives.
Related resources
August 5, 2009 1:26:52 AM

sminlal said:
What sort of work do you do on your PC? What kind of system and how much RAM do you have? Is your disk light blinking a lot when your system seems slow?

The SSD will probably work wonders on your OS disk and drastically reduce startup and application load times. Beyond that, whether or not it speeds up the actual running of your applications depends an awful lot on what they are and what kind of I/O they do.

I don’t work with my PC. Just use it for fun :)  games /pics of the kids/songs/Internet ect
Systems is in my sig
E8500 @ 3.8
4 gigs DDR2 800
My systems not really slow at all, Programs open up in less then a sec. My email maybe a few secs if it’s a bad day for windows mail.
Was thinking more in the line of when playing games would it help out, But if i just use a 80 gig for the OS and put the rest on my WD black would I see the speed of the SSD even tho the programs are on the WD Black ( probably not right ) ?

1771392,3,446162 said:
#1. Option 3 would obviously be faster, but there's no need for RAID0 with simple storage drives.
said:

I don’t think a 80 gig SSD would hold the OS and 6 games and my programs

Would you use the SSD for the OS and programs and the WD black for just songs pics ect? Or programs also

I always used 1 HDD so this is a bit Greek to me :) 
Thanks nik
August 5, 2009 2:01:25 AM

Niklas_13 said:
Would you use the SSD for the OS and programs and the WD black for just songs pics ect

That. Although you could use the Black for less demanding/older games if 80GB is restricting you.
August 5, 2009 3:16:59 AM

Ok thanks for the info!!!

Any recommendation on a good 80 gig SSD ?
August 5, 2009 3:23:24 AM

Intel X25-M G2, when it's back on the shelves in about a week.
a c 415 G Storage
August 5, 2009 3:35:19 AM

Niklas_13 said:
Was thinking more in the line of when playing games would it help out, But if i just use a 80 gig for the OS and put the rest on my WD black would I see the speed of the SSD even tho the programs are on the WD Black ( probably not right ) ?
Probably not. But are you sure that your games wouldn't fit in 80GB? Have you actually checked how much space they use?

Not all games are noticeably faster on an SSD once they're up and running. Before spending money on one you might want to check for people's experiences with the games you play.
August 5, 2009 4:27:00 AM

sminlal said:
Probably not. But are you sure that your games wouldn't fit in 80GB? Have you actually checked how much space they use?

Not all games are noticeably faster on an SSD once they're up and running. Before spending money on one you might want to check for people's experiences with the games you play.

Well the OS and games might fit, I would have to spend some time to know for sure, but with all my other apps they all wont fit . I guess i could do the OS and games on a SSD and use the WB Black for other programs and storage thats less demanding, Or maybe just pickup another WB Black and try a raid 0

This is more of just a hobbie then a need (hell whats 2 or 4 secs anyways to wate) Hell we waited 1 1/2 hours for a 50 sec ride @ Six Flags
August 5, 2009 5:02:19 PM

putting files on a raid o doset make sense raid 1 2 1tb drives or 2 1.5tb drives, but if u usin a ssd for windows, a normal hdds speed is good enough for accessing files and in raid 1 u gain read speed
August 6, 2009 2:13:41 AM

I thought raid 0 was to use 2 HDD to act as one HDD and gain speed, Is this wrong ?

thanks for the info :) 
August 6, 2009 2:19:42 AM

with raid o, read and write speed is theoretically doubled, but if 1 drive fails, all ur data is gone, with raid 1 you write at the same speed but your read speed is theoretically doubled because all data is written to both disks simultaneously, and if 1 drive fails, the other1 still has all the data.
August 6, 2009 2:31:06 AM

but with a raid 0 your also getting both HDD storage say with 2 x 640 your getting 1.28XX TB

with raid 1 its useing 1 as a backup tho right ? so you lose 640 gig ?

i have a 320 gig external i use to backup pic songs ect if one goes i just reinstall 6 hours of crap :p 
August 6, 2009 1:03:25 PM

ok well if you must do raid, just do it on the ssds to run windows, and you can use 1 big hdd for storage
!