XMS 2 compatibility

Deugar

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
I bought a pair of Corsair XMS2 1gb RAM to upgrade my memory from 2gb to 4gb, but to my surprise they seemed to be of a different model type than my original RAM. Here's the significant difference I could find when looking at them. Everything else seemed to be the same.

My current RAM:

CM2X1024-6400 C4 G
XMS6404v2.1

My new RAM:

CM2X1024-6400 C4
2.10V ver6.2

I'm wondering if these two types of RAM have significant enough differences to not be compatable. I don't know if the voltage on my old RAM is the same as these or anything else for that matter. A friend of mine has the same RAM as me and I've been trying to talk him into buying some more RAM as well. Is there a significant difference between the two types of RAM? Cause' if there is I'm thinking that one of us could take the new model while the other one gets the old one.

Thanks in advance

painsfaith

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Wow, i've never had that problem.
I guess you have a few options (least ones I can think of)

1) Put in all the sticks, and pray :??:

2) Sell off the older RAM, and buy the later version.

3) Sell off the new RAM, and hope you can find the older model

If I were you, I'd try the first option, however you might want to find a thread or person who also has experienced this.

Also, try putting the first set in, check the voltage and CAS latency (in the BIOS) and repeat that with the second set. If there are NO differences, I'd try putting both sets in. Usually this works, but make sure you have some extra money if anything goes wrong. (Or if you smell any smoke when booting up :ouch: ).
I'd strongly suggest you to research if anyone has had this issue, if they say their computer malfunctioned/blew up, I'd spend some cash and buy the newer Corsair RAM.

Good luck!

mekender

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
i am working on a problem with this exact memory combination right now... the thing is, they are the same exact part number from newegg.com so i cant imagine that they are all that different...

ill be starting a thread about it in a moment...