Your question

Major overheating

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2008 3:56:31 AM

Hello, I'm having a problem with a recently purchased Q6600. Just built a system with an XFX 780i mobo and when I turn on the computer and check the temperature it raises about 1 C a second until it supposedly reaches 190 C and powers off. This is using the stock fan and with the stock thermal grease that came on it. I generally test the stock stuff first to make sure theres no error on my part if the chip isn't working correctly. I've reseated the cpu and heat sink several times and same thing. I'm wondering if its a damaged chip or maybe the motherboard. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

More about : major overheating

a b à CPUs
June 14, 2008 4:26:17 AM

Well 190C is impossible, but if it's shutting down then you are still overheating or the mobo is causing a shutdown because it thinks it's overheating. If you can find another chip to use, update the BIOS if there is a newer one.
June 14, 2008 5:31:36 AM

Touch the heatsink when it shuts down. If you come away with an impression of the heatsink fins then you have a problem. If it feels cool to the touch then you are still not seating the heatsink correctly.

Recommend going to the Intel support site and lookup how to install the heatsink correctly. My recommendation is to install it when the motherboard is out of the case. Then you can verify that you do have it seated correctly or just go ahead and buy one with a back plate.

I have probably put on 50 to 100 Intel stock heatsinks with only 2 overheating failures. Intel boards will provide a siren warble from the onboard Piezo speaker and a Bios message will come up informing you that a thermal shutdown has happened.
Related resources
June 14, 2008 6:02:58 AM

randomizer said:
Well 190C is impossible, but if it's shutting down then you are still overheating or the mobo is causing a shutdown because it thinks it's overheating. If you can find another chip to use, update the BIOS if there is a newer one.

well not impossible, but improbable, i have seen cpus and gpus get to 145oC and still work fine afterwards, but 190 is a bit far off, update the bios, check the contact impressions in the thermalpaste - also, the heatsink thing, yeah, if it is really really hot, you have a problem with your cpu + board, if it is really cold, you have a problem with mounting.
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2008 6:29:11 AM

The CPU would activate THERMTRIP long before it hit 190C. I can't hit that with no heatsink on my E6600, I can't even hit 100C.
June 14, 2008 7:09:01 AM

You said you've reseated the HSF few times.

When you did that, did you clean off the thermal grease each time, and put new TIM on, or did you just put it back on as is?
June 14, 2008 7:23:51 AM

Impossible to reach 190c? HA!

I noticed the ambient temps was not listed. Maybe just maybe Edon
is one of the dammed?

Or the heat sink fan mite be plugged in to the wrong header, it’s a coin toss really

Hell, according to many religious beliefs, is a place of suffering during afterlife where the wicked or unrighteous souls are punished. Hell is usually depicted as underground. Within Islam and Christianity, Hell is traditionally depicted as fiery and painful, inflicting guilt and suffering.[1] Some other traditions, however, portray Hell as cold and gloomy. Existence after life is not concrete in Judaism and may be portrayed as a state of neutrality, an eternal nothingness ("sheol", often mis-translated as hell), simply non-life
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2008 8:20:58 AM

houstonserenity said:
Impossible to reach 190c? HA!

I noticed the ambient temps was not listed. Maybe just maybe Edon
is one of the dammed?

Or the heat sink fan mite be plugged in to the wrong header, it%u2019s a coin toss really

Ok either those readings of "hot" CPUs of yours that you mentioned before were wrong or you are talking about old CPUs. No modern CPU can get that hot, if it does then it was faulty to start with and should be returned. There's a reason Intel implemented thermal throttling and shutdown at much lower temperatures than that (and AMD an equivalent mechanism I'd assume). Like I said, my CPU won't get anywhere near that hot, and I have run it with no heatsink attached.
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2008 8:48:02 AM

Well he didn't say what he was reading it from. If it was the BIOS it should have been in degrees Celcius. In fact, just about every program displays in celcius by default. Now if it really is 190F, then that is entirely reasonable, hot, but reasonable.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2008 11:49:24 AM

Well thanks for the input. First off it was Celsius or 252 F is the temp it gets to. I am about 99.9% positive that the heat sink and fan is installed right its not the first time I've installed them. I have tried to use new thermal paste and its the same result. It is definitely really hot to touch.

I'm just at a loss as to what could be wrong. I'm not sure if the chip really is overheating that bad or if the motherboard sensors are off or a combo of both. I've had a lot of problems with the motherboard but they were pretty minor and easy fixes but this is just out of hand.
June 14, 2008 12:14:23 PM

Heh... forgive me for asking that about cleaning/adding new thermal grease, since it's your 2nd post. It's really hard to know anyones knowledge of building a PC with short descriptions of the problem and what you've done.

Definitely really hot to the touch?

Chances are the sensors are some what correct, since your are having a problem, and your saying the HS if hot.

The stock HSF would be the main problem, since its suppose to be adequate for normal use, or to be ran stock.

Have you reset the bios, and check to see if the vcore is set right?

I don't have any other suggestions to check or try, except get a 3rd party HSF for it, that has a back plate setup, not pins.
June 14, 2008 12:52:47 PM

A couple of questions. Are we talking about the CPU temperaure or some other sensor in the PC? Does it show any signs of life while it is heating up?

A properly running CPU should never get to 190C but a broken one can easily heat up to that temperature. If the PC shows no signs of life at all then you could have a blown CPU. Unfortunately you could have plenty of other stuff that could cause a problem. If you have an old CPU that will fit in this socket try it just to see if the MOBO and supply are still good.
June 14, 2008 1:02:04 PM

Quote:
Well thanks for the input. First off it was Celsius or 252 F is the temp it gets to. I am about 99.9% positive that the heat sink and fan is installed right its not the first time I've installed them. I have tried to use new thermal paste and its the same result. It is definitely really hot to touch.

I'm just at a loss as to what could be wrong. I'm not sure if the chip really is overheating that bad or if the motherboard sensors are off or a combo of both. I've had a lot of problems with the motherboard but they were pretty minor and easy fixes but this is just out of hand.

252°F = 122°C, so that's much more feasible than 190°C. I agree with pretty much everyone who's posted already: Remove, clean, reinstall (with triple check, outside the case), and reboot. If that still doesn't work RMA through Intel, or whatever online retailer you purchased it from.
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2008 1:46:38 PM

190c is 374f.
You could cook french fries to a crispy golden brown in a short couple of minutes at that temp. I would be more inclined to say that something isn't working right with your sensor. It wouldn't get that hot with no cooler at all.
It would completely crash and quit long before.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2008 3:47:06 PM

Thanks guys for the help. I've reinstalled it several times and its still the same it can only stay on for about a minute and a half before it gets to hot, and this is outside the case. I guess I have no choice but to send it back and hope its the chip not working properly instead of the motherboard since its a much easier fix. With my luck its more than likely a combination of motherboard and processor problems and am going to have to end up sending them both back, I don't even have another CPU to test which is the worst part. Well again I appreciated all the input.
June 15, 2008 6:11:40 AM

Did you read the link supremelaw posted? Try it.
!