Weird freezing moments on XP, looking for a CPU or MoBo Diagnostic app

bigkahuna

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Hello everyone,

I'm having very weird "lags" and freezing moments on my computer. Sometimes it's when I'm launching a lot of programs at the same time (like: mozilla, skype and notepad very quickly for exemple). Sometimes it's juste like that, when watching a video for exemple I can sometimes times get weird sound distortions, like if the sound was lagging (but only for a few secs).

So I was wondering, could that come from my CPU or my Motherboard ? I'm asking that because I'm thinking of buying a new graphic card for my 4 year old computer and I would'nt want to invest money in it if in two weeks i'm going to have to change it completely ^^ !

If my Motherboard or CPU were broken or close to breaking, would my PC still work and give me that kind of weird things / bugs ?

Also I would like to know if there is some sort of Diagnostic / benchmarking program that I could use to test my CPU and my Motherboard to see if they are working correctly, and if they are still in shape. Something like MEMTest. Any idea ?

Thank you for your time and help !

Regards,

Big

bigkahuna

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Thank you for your tip but isn't there a program I could use to check if my CPU and my Motherboard work normally like MEMTest ?

bigkahuna

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Full computer specs:

Pentium 4 at 3ghz
Asus P5GD1 Motherboard
Leadtek Nvidia 6600GT at 128mb, PCI Express
2Gb of Corsair RAM (PC3200 CL 2.5) (recently added 1gb so it's 2x512 + 1gb)
500Gb hard drive at 7200RPM (Western Digital)
Windows XP Home
Thank you for your time and help !

What do you think of OCCT for benchmarking purposes? http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika/index.php

You can download it and use it in English or any other language.
Thanks for your tip ^^!

bigkahuna

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Ok, does OCCT or Prime95 can break my CPU/Motherboard/PC when benchmarking ? By being to "intense" ? or is it risk free ?

Mogwilson

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
Check you case for dust and general crap, It could be a temp issue and the cpu is throttling back due to heat, It might also be a virus. I would uninstall your graphics drivers ard do a clean install with the latest ones. Before you use any diagnostics its best to check the basics first.