Weird freezing moments on XP, looking for a CPU or MoBo Diagnostic app

Hello everyone,

I'm having very weird "lags" and freezing moments on my computer. Sometimes it's when I'm launching a lot of programs at the same time (like: mozilla, skype and notepad very quickly for exemple). Sometimes it's juste like that, when watching a video for exemple I can sometimes times get weird sound distortions, like if the sound was lagging (but only for a few secs).

So I was wondering, could that come from my CPU or my Motherboard ? I'm asking that because I'm thinking of buying a new graphic card for my 4 year old computer and I would'nt want to invest money in it if in two weeks i'm going to have to change it completely ^^ !

If my Motherboard or CPU were broken or close to breaking, would my PC still work and give me that kind of weird things / bugs ?

Also I would like to know if there is some sort of Diagnostic / benchmarking program that I could use to test my CPU and my Motherboard to see if they are working correctly, and if they are still in shape. Something like MEMTest. Any idea ?

Thank you for your time and help !

Regards,

Big
10 answers Last reply
More about weird freezing moments mobo diagnostic
  1. In Windows, press CTRL ALT DEL for task manager, click CPU header twice, look at what's eating up cpu resources. That's your culprit.
  2. Thank you for your tip but isn't there a program I could use to check if my CPU and my Motherboard work normally like MEMTest ?
  3. Run Prime95 for 8+hrs to test CPU and motherboard.

@OP: Please list full specs.
  4. Full computer specs:

Pentium 4 at 3ghz
    Asus P5GD1 Motherboard
    Leadtek Nvidia 6600GT at 128mb, PCI Express
    2Gb of Corsair RAM (PC3200 CL 2.5) (recently added 1gb so it's 2x512 + 1gb)
    500Gb hard drive at 7200RPM (Western Digital)
    Windows XP Home
    Thank you for your time and help !

What do you think of OCCT for benchmarking purposes? http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika/index.php

You can download it and use it in English or any other language.
    Thanks for your tip ^^!
  5. I haven't used OCCT. I stick with 3DMark, PCMark, and Sandra for benchmarking.

For burn in, I use Prime95 and Memtest86+.
  6. Ok, does OCCT or Prime95 can break my CPU/Motherboard/PC when benchmarking ? By being to "intense" ? or is it risk free ?
  7. The worst thing that can happen with Prime95,etc is a BSOD, re boot, or a lock up.
  8. ok so it's not dangerous for the PC ?
  9. No. It is not dangerous (just make sure you have backup's of your stuff) BSODs can cause chaos. There won't/shouldn't be any hardware damage. (May be over heating, so keep an eye out for the temps).
  10. Check you case for dust and general crap, It could be a temp issue and the cpu is throttling back due to heat, It might also be a virus. I would uninstall your graphics drivers ard do a clean install with the latest ones. Before you use any diagnostics its best to check the basics first.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Windows XP