HDD failure in raid 1

I turned my computer on today and I have been told that one of my HDD has an error (I can't find out exactly what the error is) and that my raid is running degraded. I know which HDD it is (both the bios and the windows raid utility are able to see the HDD and tell me it's not working properly) but I don't know what is wrong and what I should do about trying to resolve this.

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit
ASUS P5K Pro MOBO
2 Seagate 500GB HDD in raid 1

Any help would be great.
6 answers Last reply
More about failure raid
  1. Take out the failing HDD, boot the system with the "good" HDD and confirm its working properly. Then test the failing HDD, zero write it and add it to the array again when its tested free of defects.
  2. sub mesa said:
    Take out the failing HDD, boot the system with the "good" HDD and confirm its working properly. Then test the failing HDD, zero write it and add it to the array again when its tested free of defects.

What tools should I be using to test it? I have taken out the bad HDD and run the system with just the good HDD and everything seems fine, plugging back in the bad HDD it still reports as being bad.
  3. You can test your HDDs with the manufacturer DOS-utility. To avoid using floppies and messing with MS-DOS, try Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD), google for it and burn the .iso and boot from it. In the menu it has all HDD manufacturer's tools for testing disks.
  4. sub mesa said:
    You can test your HDDs with the manufacturer DOS-utility. To avoid using floppies and messing with MS-DOS, try Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD), google for it and burn the .iso and boot from it. In the menu it has all HDD manufacturer's tools for testing disks.

Thanks, I downloaded the Ultimate Boot CD and ran the seagate tool on the drive and it reported back that there was a bad sector. Can this sector be fixed using the tool without any negative effects on the raid array or is it better to replace the drive with a new one?
  5. Its not "fixed", but simply marked as bad so its not used. The problem is that as sectors go bad, more tend to follow. Now would be a good time to buy a new drive.
  6. RAIDs do not have something like a "bad cluster remap" thats a filesystem feature.

Bad clusters need to be written to in order to fix them, so they can be reswapped. After this, the number of Reallocated Sector Count in the SMART-output of the drive, would increase by 1.

So you have to overwrite that bad sector in order to let the drive fix it. A simple zero-write on the whole disk would 'trigger' any reallocated sectors if any bads are found. A normal Windows format would not do this, as windows format does not zero-write the whole disk.

After zero-writing, you should be able to use it again, and any surface test should not give any errors. However, if you get bad sectors regularly and they seem to be going faster and faster, your drive is at the end of its lifespan and it should not be used for any important data.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Hard Drives Storage