what's the best video card

schuyler

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
I got a ati radeon x1950 xtx and it didn't fit on my old hp pavilion a730n so now I want to know what's the best video card that will fit on my hp pavilion a730n

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
I got a better idea, don't get a new case unless you know how to dismantle your current pc without damaging it.

"deleted to avoid confusion"

edited:
from what I read about the HP pavillion a730n, its pentium 4 3.0 ghz with 512 ram default. This is the page for your PC's default specifications:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=431078&docname=c00233082 -hp customer care.

if you do upgrade your video card then you should try to get 2x512mb PC-3200 DDR-1 400 SDRAM if you want to get the most out of a new video card.

Fair warning: make sure you have ample room near your graphics port to put the card in if you don't know how to dismantle your pc, most new graphics cards are 8 inches or more in length

Good luck

runswindows95

Distinguished
You really should read the links you post, ovaltine. The HP a730n HAS A PCI-E SLOT. Overall, if you know how, schuyler, get a new case plus PSU (If you haven't already), and just move the system to a bigger case. Also, if you haven't already, upgrade the RAM as well.

schuyler

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
thanks for the help, I know in a perfect world I would get a better computer but I have limited funds, I have gotten 4g of RAM and a pentium 4 3.8ghz but I just want to upgrade the video card better than my ati radeon x700 PRO so I can get the best out of the motherboard that I can, I just need a video card that's at max 9.5 inches long since I found out the hard way by buying a ati radeon x1950 xtx just to find out it didn't fit on the motherboard since it stuck out over the power cord to the mothboard and I've now had to send it back for a refund and for some reason video card companies don't make the length of their video cards very evident even though you'd think that would be worth making very evident.

pauldh

Illustrious
Are you sure the X1950XTX is over 9 inches long? How long inside the case? 9 inches right? + add the PCI-e power cable.

Most 8800GT, 8800GS, 9600GT cards are 9 inches inside the case. Some are 8.5 inches. There may be some just a bit over 8 inches. Those are cheap (in USA anyway) and upgrades from a X1950XTX. But most of the cards under 8 inches will be slower than the X1950XTX.