Quiet

Last response: in Video Games
June 26, 2005 7:06:37 AM

Is it just me or things dead around here? there's been like 3 posts in the
last 2 days.

More about : quiet

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 11:09:12 AM

Hellmark wrote:
> Is it just me or things dead around here? there's been like 3 posts
> in the last 2 days.

It's cuz I ain't bitched at nobody or at anything. :o }

June 28, 2005 9:58:19 PM

Miracle Smith's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
body were:
> /me wishes
> On top of getting sick again, I think both of our desktops
> are in deep doo-doo. The oldest, which is now Ross', is now
> in the throes of trying to win the "I've got the slowest processor
> in all of Computer Land" Contest.
> That shitbox has *nothing* loaded- just the OS and Norton's.
> I check that mofo every day for spyware, adware, and viruses,
> and nada.

Sounds like kernel cancer to me. Windows really is famous for doing that.
June 29, 2005 11:44:17 AM

Smeghead wrote:
> Me too! I'm alone in a vast universe here! This game world is
> absolutely massive. They say there's 5,000 star systems. I found the
> scene of gore last night on a mission. It was a shuttle crash with
> frozen bodies all around. There was an icy cloud of frozen blood
> around the wreckage. Kinda gruesome. I took screenshots like a
> tourist. :)  I'll post them in the Tribes 2 group.

This is supposed to be our slow time, before schols reopen
and the bluehairs return for the winter, but it's not slowing up like
it used to. It's a good sign for the coming year, but Ross isn't
getting the rest he needs.

> I've seen some pretty slow machines people are hobbling along on. My
> advice to them is: If it does what you want and need it to do, then
> there is no need to upgrade. But if it's frustrating and slow and not
> a joy to work with, bite the bullet, and dive in with two fistfulls of
> cash and land the most loaded machine you can afford.

Yeah, I'm bracing him for the inevitable. One day I'll just get in
the truck and return with my newest geek toy and he'll get another
hand-me-down. LOL

> He's lucky to have a woman that will share her technology! :D

ROFL See my remark above about hand-me-downs. LOL

> I didn't know you went bi!

Only where food is concerned!!

> Yeah, but chocolate is worth the time!

Oh man, *always*!

June 29, 2005 10:04:49 PM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42c25151$1_1
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> Yeah, I'm bracing him for the inevitable. One day I'll just get in
> the truck and return with my newest geek toy and he'll get another
> hand-me-down. LOL

Here's what I just assembled:

http://matureasskickers.net/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=92...

I'm taking it to work today to use it as a Firewire sniffer, so I'm hoping
to take some photos then. It's kind of a drab case but super-light and very
easy to work in.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 11:28:59 PM

"ScratchMonkey" <ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote in message
> "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42c25151$1_1
> @galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> Yeah, I'm bracing him for the inevitable. One day I'll just get in
>> the truck and return with my newest geek toy and he'll get another
>> hand-me-down. LOL
>
> Here's what I just assembled:
>
> http://matureasskickers.net/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=92...
>
> I'm taking it to work today to use it as a Firewire sniffer, so I'm hoping
> to take some photos then. It's kind of a drab case but super-light and
> very
> easy to work in.

An Athlon 64 3000+, a GF 6800GT, and a gig of ram just for sniffer? I think
you have ulterior motives.

Quixote
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 11:05:41 AM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42c25151$1_1
> @galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> Yeah, I'm bracing him for the inevitable. One day I'll just get
>> in the truck and return with my newest geek toy and he'll get another
>> hand-me-down. LOL
>
> Here's what I just assembled:
>
> http://matureasskickers.net/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=92...
>
> I'm taking it to work today to use it as a Firewire sniffer, so I'm
> hoping to take some photos then. It's kind of a drab case but
> super-light and very easy to work in.

I'm digging that mobo. Sports an Nvidia chipset. Niiiiiiiiiiiice.....

<sing-songs> "I know what that's for! I know what that's for!"

Okay, so I came to my senses, and realized that my next desktop
is going to be custom assembled by me. Do I start with the case or
the mobo?
There's no way I have the extra propeller blade to match up a
mobo with a chipset, so I'll have to buy a combo unit.

Here's what I want: (all minimum specs)

A *purple* case to hold:
A 2Ghz processor
512MB RAM
2 AGP slots
3 PCI slots
6 USB ports
The Usual Other Bells & Whistles (like the power supply, etc.)

I'm ready to start. Help me find my first component.

Or would you guys rather I just buy off-the-shelf and paint
the new case purple and save everyone in here many headaches?
:o þ

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

June 30, 2005 11:06:18 AM

> An Athlon 64 3000+, a GF 6800GT, and a gig of ram just for sniffer?
> I think you have ulterior motives.
>
> Quixote

Heh heh heh........I know he does!

June 30, 2005 11:57:14 AM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42c399c5_2
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> A *purple* case to hold:

Paint is a beautiful thing. Get something you can dress up yourself.

> A 2Ghz processor

Note that AMD sells by "equivalent Hz", so the clock number is way
belowing the marketing number.

> 512MB RAM

You'll be happier with a gig, and I'm planning to put a 2nd in mine as
Battlefield 2 is a real memory pig when you have the textures turned up.
Modern chipsets can read from two DIMM's at the same time ("dual
channel"), so buy the memory in pairs.

> 2 AGP slots

Why? All the modern video cards are going PCI-Express (PCIE). PCIE comes
in different speeds, and my mobo has several varieties of them. The
nVidia 6800 GT is PCIE 4x, and my mobo has a single 4x slot.

> 3 PCI slots

And what goes in those? (But it's a good idea to have some, as I found
out, as the special Firewire card I needed was PCI.)

> 6 USB ports

Handy, but note that you want some on the front for things you don't
always have plugged in, like those little Flash dongles.

> The Usual Other Bells & Whistles (like the power supply, etc.)

I'm real happy with the OCZ Modstream. The drive cables can be removed,
so you don't have to clutter your case with the ones you don't need. And
it's got a pretty blue light inside. ;)
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 11:59:55 AM

"Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote in

> An Athlon 64 3000+, a GF 6800GT, and a gig of ram just for sniffer? I
> think you have ulterior motives.

I have given it a good workout with BF2 (and discovered I need another gig
of memory to make it work well), but I really wanted the 64-bit CPU for
some Linux game development. (I'm on the RenWerX project.) I've now got it
configured for triple-boot: WinXP64, Fedora Core 4 i386, and FC4 x86_64.

BTW, the sniffer app was missing the function I needed, so I added the code
and I think I found the customer's problem.
!