Burn In

Last response: in Home Theatre
August 19, 2005 1:27:37 AM

I want to get a HDTV but IM afraid of burn in.
I like to watch FOX news 8 hours a day, Im a news hound and like to watch
history channel and Discovery channel but I heard that the logos will cause
burn in.
I heard that the plasma, rear projection TV are the worst for burn in and
the dlp, LCD do not have a good of a picture as a plasma.
I want to get a 55 or 65 inch.
Any suggestions?
thanks,
Vietnam Vet

More about : burn

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 3:14:12 AM

VietNam Vet wrote:
> I want to get a HDTV but IM afraid of burn in.
> I like to watch FOX news 8 hours a day, Im a news hound and like to watch
> history channel and Discovery channel but I heard that the logos will cause
> burn in.
> I heard that the plasma, rear projection TV are the worst for burn in and
> the dlp, LCD do not have a good of a picture as a plasma.
> I want to get a 55 or 65 inch.
> Any suggestions?

Yes. If you get any HDTV that is subject to uneven phosphor burn (CRT,
CRT RPTV, Plasma) get it professional calibrated. If you don't want to
pay for that, get a calibration DVD or D-VHS tape and follow the
instructions. Once you get used to the fact that your HDTV doesn't
produce enough light to do heart surgery, but more than enough to
accurately reproduce the image being sent to it, your display will not
be as likely to suffer burn in.

BTW, watching 8 hours a day of Fox news, IMHO, is really dangerous to
your perception of reality. After all, they decide what to report, not you.

Matthew
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 10:05:43 AM

In article <11gajkapck1bj29@corp.supernews.com>,
"Matthew L. Martin" <nothere@notnow.never> wrote:

> BTW, watching 8 hours a day of Fox news, IMHO, is really dangerous to
> your perception of reality. After all, they decide what to report, not you.

And this is different from any other news gathering and reporting
operation...how?

CNN is no different. Newsweek magazine is no different. The local
newspaper is no different.

If Fox doing what they do comes as a shock and surprise to you, you're
awfully naive.

Seems to me that Fox is the Wal-Mart of news organizations. They're so
successful at what they do, they're a natural target for human
animosity. But every other retailer does the exact same thing; they're
just not as successful, that's all. Why humans don't focus on Target,
for example, I don't know.

And why there's no outcry against ALL independent news gathering
organizations for doing exactly what Fox does, I don't know.
August 19, 2005 10:16:06 AM

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> And why there's no outcry against ALL independent news gathering
> organizations for doing exactly what Fox does, I don't know.

Perhaps not all of them materialy misrepresent what they are doing. "We
report, you decide"? That is bullshit. Anyone who thinks that Fox makes
any attempt at all to provide "fair and balanced" reporting has been
taken in.

Matthew
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 10:53:55 AM

In article <11gbcb9m2aor10b@corp.supernews.com>,
"Matthew L. Martin" <nothere@notnow.never> wrote:

> > And why there's no outcry against ALL independent news gathering
> > organizations for doing exactly what Fox does, I don't know.
> >

> Perhaps not all of them materialy misrepresent what they are doing.

You are naive, plain and simple.

They ALL misrepresent what they're doing.

New York Times, anyone?
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 11:33:09 AM

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> In article <11gbcb9m2aor10b@corp.supernews.com>,
> "Matthew L. Martin" <nothere@notnow.never> wrote:
>

>>>And why there's no outcry against ALL independent news gathering
>>>organizations for doing exactly what Fox does, I don't know.
>>>

>>Perhaps not all of them materialy misrepresent what they are doing.
>

> You are naive, plain and simple.

Thank you.

Matthew
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 12:11:08 PM

"VietNam Vet" <Vet@VietNam.net> wrote in message
news:D e3ckr0mou@enews2.newsguy.com...
>I want to get a HDTV but IM afraid of burn in.
> I like to watch FOX news 8 hours a day, Im a news hound and like to watch
> history channel and Discovery channel but I heard that the logos will
> cause burn in.
> I heard that the plasma, rear projection TV are the worst for burn in and
> the dlp, LCD do not have a good of a picture as a plasma.
> I want to get a 55 or 65 inch.
> Any suggestions?
> thanks,
> Vietnam Vet

Fox = "news". now that's funny!
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 1:17:10 PM

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
> In article <11gbcb9m2aor10b@corp.supernews.com>,
> "Matthew L. Martin" <nothere@notnow.never> wrote:
>
>> > And why there's no outcry against ALL independent news gathering
>> > organizations for doing exactly what Fox does, I don't know.
>> >

>> Perhaps not all of them materialy misrepresent what they are doing.
>
> You are naive, plain and simple.
>
> They ALL misrepresent what they're doing.
>
> New York Times, anyone?

No, Fox is different. Owned by Austrailian mogul Ruppert Murdock and
is nothing more then paid political advertising and propaganda sludge for
the right wing. Murdock owns Fox, DirecTV, the Clear Channel Network
and many, many others.
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 2:25:37 PM

> No, Fox is different. Owned by Austrailian mogul Ruppert Murdock and
> is nothing more then paid political advertising and propaganda sludge for
> the right wing. Murdock owns Fox, DirecTV, the Clear Channel Network
> and many, many others.

And Ted Turner owns CNN. It's nothing more than paid political
advertising and propaganada sludge for the left wing. Turner owns TBS,
TNT, and many others.
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 5:21:10 PM

"VietNam Vet" <Vet@VietNam.net> wrote in message
news:D e3ckr0mou@enews2.newsguy.com...
>I want to get a HDTV but IM afraid of burn in.
> I like to watch FOX news 8 hours a day,

Man, I can't watch anything for 1 hour a day on tv. Read a book, that'll
prevent burn-in.!

Im a news hound and like to watch
> history channel and Discovery channel but I heard that the logos will
> cause burn in.
> I heard that the plasma, rear projection TV are the worst for burn in and
> the dlp, LCD do not have a good of a picture as a plasma.
> I want to get a 55 or 65 inch.
> Any suggestions?
> thanks,
> Vietnam Vet

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 5:21:11 PM

the new plasmas do not have a burn in problem at all

"VietNam Vet" <Vet@VietNam.net> wrote in message
news:D e3ckr0mou@enews2.newsguy.com...
>I want to get a HDTV but IM afraid of burn in.
> I like to watch FOX news 8 hours a day, Im a news hound and like to watch
> history channel and Discovery channel but I heard that the logos will
> cause burn in.
> I heard that the plasma, rear projection TV are the worst for burn in and
> the dlp, LCD do not have a good of a picture as a plasma.
> I want to get a 55 or 65 inch.
> Any suggestions?
> thanks,
> Vietnam Vet

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 5:35:28 PM

Larry Bud wrote:

>>No, Fox is different. Owned by Austrailian mogul Ruppert Murdock and
>>is nothing more then paid political advertising and propaganda sludge for
>>the right wing. Murdock owns Fox, DirecTV, the Clear Channel Network
>>and many, many others.
>

> And Ted Turner owns CNN. It's nothing more than paid political
> advertising and propaganada sludge for the left wing.

It has been a very _very_ long time since Ted sold CNN to Time Warner.

<http://www.cjr.org/tools/owners/timewarner.asp&gt;

CNN is now firmly in the control of corporate America which, for the
time being, means that it is only slightly to the left of Fox News.

> Turner owns TBS,
> TNT, and many others.

Nope, Time Warner owns all of them, too.

Matthew
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 6:23:36 PM

"Matthew L. Martin" <nothere@notnow.never> wrote in message
> Larry Bud wrote:
>
>>>No, Fox is different. Owned by Austrailian mogul Ruppert Murdock and
>>>is nothing more then paid political advertising and propaganda sludge for
>>>the right wing. Murdock owns Fox, DirecTV, the Clear Channel Network
>>>and many, many others.
>>

>> And Ted Turner owns CNN. It's nothing more than paid political
>> advertising and propaganada sludge for the left wing.
>
> It has been a very _very_ long time since Ted sold CNN to Time Warner.
>
> <http://www.cjr.org/tools/owners/timewarner.asp&gt;
>
> CNN is now firmly in the control of corporate America which, for the time
> being, means that it is only slightly to the left of Fox News.
>
>> Turner owns TBS,
>> TNT, and many others.
>
> Nope, Time Warner owns all of them, too.
>
> Matthew

You all don't really want to argue that one is substantially worse than the
other, do you? They all are obviously more driven by what sells than by
political affiliations. FOX sells more red, white, and blue hoorah and CNN
sells more Bush is bad. Niether is much more or less informative than the
other. You have to take it all for what it is worth and read through the
marketing.

Leonard
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 6:54:49 PM

"rz" <rz@inv.invalid> wrote in message

> "VietNam Vet" <Vet@VietNam.net> wrote in message
> news:D e3ckr0mou@enews2.newsguy.com...
>>I want to get a HDTV but IM afraid of burn in.
>> I like to watch FOX news 8 hours a day, Im a news hound and like to watch
>> history channel and Discovery channel but I heard that the logos will
>> cause burn in.
>> I heard that the plasma, rear projection TV are the worst for burn in and
>> the dlp, LCD do not have a good of a picture as a plasma.
>> I want to get a 55 or 65 inch.
>> Any suggestions?
>> thanks,
>> Vietnam Vet
>
> Fox = "news". now that's funny!

Read the news off the internet.

and watch the BBC.
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 9:16:42 PM

rz wrote:
> "VietNam Vet" <Vet@VietNam.net> wrote in message
> news:D e3ckr0mou@enews2.newsguy.com...
>
>>I want to get a HDTV but IM afraid of burn in.
>>I like to watch FOX news 8 hours a day, Im a news hound and like to watch
>>history channel and Discovery channel but I heard that the logos will
>>cause burn in.
>>I heard that the plasma, rear projection TV are the worst for burn in and
>>the dlp, LCD do not have a good of a picture as a plasma.
>>I want to get a 55 or 65 inch.
>>Any suggestions?
>> thanks,
>> Vietnam Vet
>

> Fox = "news". now that's funny!

Not everyone wants a liberal slant on *everything*, thanks.

CNN = "news". Is that funny, too? Or is it only funny because you're
bashing FOX News? I'm confused...

--
Michael J. Sherman
Director of Advanced Technology

I did not ask about what I watch.I wanted to know about burn in on HDTV not
what you want to tell me what I should watch or do you have a problem of
burn in of your brain.
To the people that told me about burn in on HDTV thanks.
Vietnam Vet
"Howlee" <Sampsonanddeliah1@nospammm.yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "rz" <rz@inv.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "VietNam Vet" <Vet@VietNam.net> wrote in message
>> news:D e3ckr0mou@enews2.newsguy.com...
>>>I want to get a HDTV but IM afraid of burn in.
>>> I like to watch FOX news 8 hours a day, Im a news hound and like to
>>> watch history channel and Discovery channel but I heard that the logos
>>> will cause burn in.
>>> I heard that the plasma, rear projection TV are the worst for burn in
>>> and the dlp, LCD do not have a good of a picture as a plasma.
>>> I want to get a 55 or 65 inch.
>>> Any suggestions?
>>> thanks,
>>> Vietnam Vet
>>
>> Fox = "news". now that's funny!
>>
> Read the news off the internet.
>
> and watch the BBC.

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 5:30:58 AM

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:23:36 -0400 Leonard Caillouet <no@noway.com> wrote:

| You all don't really want to argue that one is substantially worse than the
| other, do you? They all are obviously more driven by what sells than by
| political affiliations. FOX sells more red, white, and blue hoorah and CNN
| sells more Bush is bad. Niether is much more or less informative than the
| other. You have to take it all for what it is worth and read through the
| marketing.

Exactly. And TV news is especially useless due to the limited timeframe
even the so called "new channels" have. It's still essentially a small
time period to sequeeze in all the major news with a few sound bites and
then repeat the same thing (maybe with a few updates) in the next half
hour. There are some occaisional "magazine" style shows that do cover
an issue better, but not all issues get covered even there.

And watch out for Sinclair owned stations regardless of which network
they affiliate with.

August 23, 2005 12:15:52 AM

"VietNam Vet" <Vet@VietNam.net> wrote in message
news:D e5lut013se@enews2.newsguy.com...
>I did not ask about what I watch.I wanted to know about burn in on HDTV not
>what you want to tell me what I should watch or do you have a problem of
>burn in of your brain.
> To the people that told me about burn in on HDTV thanks.
> Vietnam Vet

Yes, but you did prompt that you were a "newshound" and watched "FOX News"
(and not only watched it, but rotted your brain with it 8 hours a day). I
think the combination of the two was probably what prompted most people, as
we all know that "FOX News" is not a credible provider of news
(entertainment or political opinions, maybe) and probably not a good thing
to be watching so many hours a day if you actually want to be informed or
knowledgeable about anything. Not that any of them are any good, among CNN,
MSNBC, or the standard network nightly news channels (or local news), but
FOX is particularly pernicious - anyone watching it is pretty much
guaranteed to become more ignorant and misinformed the more of it they
watch - an affect of all the TV news channels, but FOX is, by far, the worst
of them.

One point is that if CNN etc. were ever "liberal", they certainly aren't now
and haven't been for years. So it's not like you can even get "balance" by
watching a little FOX and a little CNN. You'd only be getting far right of
center "balanced" by only slightly right of center. For real balance, you'd
have to watch a little FOX, then a little "Democracy Now" on FSTV, or
something along those lines.

And as for Discovery and the History Channel, it's no surprise that they
renamed "Discovery Wings" the "Military Channel". Not that there's anything
wrong with information on military history and technology, but it just
completes the extremely limited and distorted viewpoint of the world
you're subjecting yourself to.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 9:39:49 AM

"Matthew Vaughan" <matt-no-spam-109@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "VietNam Vet" <Vet@VietNam.net> wrote in message
> news:D e5lut013se@enews2.newsguy.com...
>>I did not ask about what I watch.I wanted to know about burn in on HDTV
>>not
>>what you want to tell me what I should watch or do you have a problem of
>>burn in of your brain.
>> To the people that told me about burn in on HDTV thanks.
>> Vietnam Vet
>
> Yes, but you did prompt that you were a "newshound" and watched "FOX News"
> (and not only watched it, but rotted your brain with it 8 hours a day). I
> think the combination of the two was probably what prompted most people,
> as
> we all know that "FOX News" is not a credible provider of news
> (entertainment or political opinions, maybe) and probably not a good thing
> to be watching so many hours a day if you actually want to be informed or
> knowledgeable about anything. Not that any of them are any good, among
> CNN,
> MSNBC, or the standard network nightly news channels (or local news), but
> FOX is particularly pernicious - anyone watching it is pretty much
> guaranteed to become more ignorant and misinformed the more of it they
> watch - an affect of all the TV news channels, but FOX is, by far, the
> worst
> of them.
>
> One point is that if CNN etc. were ever "liberal", they certainly aren't
> now
> and haven't been for years. So it's not like you can even get "balance" by
> watching a little FOX and a little CNN. You'd only be getting far right of
> center "balanced" by only slightly right of center. For real balance,
> you'd
> have to watch a little FOX, then a little "Democracy Now" on FSTV, or
> something along those lines.
>
> And as for Discovery and the History Channel, it's no surprise that they
> renamed "Discovery Wings" the "Military Channel". Not that there's
> anything
> wrong with information on military history and technology, but it just
> completes the extremely limited and distorted viewpoint of the world
> you're subjecting yourself to.

Yawn...liberals say news is slanted right, conservatives say news is slanted
left. Saying FOX is "particularly pernicious..." is like saying Wendy's
will make you more fat than McDs. They all provide news as entertainment
and a vehicle for marketing. They do provide us with information, however,
and we are lucky to have multiple options for getting information.

Leonard
!