new system setup question

scenarioL113

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I built a new system last month and was wondering if there was specific settings I should set up in the bios for the CPU, or anything else for that matter. I built the system to play games with and for surging the net, not anything else.

I havea Q9450, 4gig of Gskill 8000RAM, single evga 9800gx2, evga 780i sli mobo.

running Vista 32

any help?

Thanks

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
Do you want to overclock it?
Do you want it to run cooler?
Do you want to turn off things you don't need?

If the answer to all these questions is NO only one more thing comes to mind: If it ain't broken don't fix it!

Yeah ... if you are happy don't mess with it.

Before you start messin' in the BIOS learn how to reset the CMOS by reading your mobo manual.

Don't depend upon someone to tell you what 'settings' to change in the BIOS without learning for yourself what they are all about.

scenarioL113

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I am sorry for not being specific to why I ask.

I have had some problems with COD4 crashing, it will lock up and make a studdering noise. I have also had the same problem running a video on youtube once or twice. I keep having a problem with Mozilla Firefox crashing.

I had installed vista 64 and was unhappy with some incompatibity issues and had the same instability issues as above.

I then installed vista 32 and have had better luck with it but it seems something just isnt right, some times things seem to run slow and sometimes not.

I have a new install and I would think all should be "crisp" and stable.

Has anyone had problem like I mentioned?

I have the latest Nvidia drivers installed and was wondering if raising the FSB would turn things up.

The CPU runs 2ghz at idle and I guess it goes to 2.66ghz when under load. The q6600 seems to give more but they say the FSB holds it back the q9450 has the FSB but it cant multiply to overclock, I am wondering if something is holding my system back.