Sign in with
Your question

Side effects of running PCI-E bus @ 115Mhz?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 25, 2008 2:37:58 AM

I am curious as to what would be the side effects to my system (graphics card more than anything) if I were to run my PCI-E bus @ 115Mhz, I've heard SATA corruption if I run beyond this point, but that doesn't concern me as long as there is no damage done to the hardware. I ask this because I happen to own a crappy replacement board at the moment to hold me over since the last one broke down on me due to an accidental drop and I had to buy something cheap and soon. The problem with this board is that for it OC my CPU from 1066 to 1333 FSB I have to run the PCI-E bus @ 115Mhz. I guess my question is... Will I damage anything (Graphics card maybe?) if I run the PCI-E bus @ 115Mhz for long periods of time (a year for example)?
May 25, 2008 2:57:43 AM

Just the board itself is my guess, dunno for sure though.
May 25, 2008 3:07:38 AM

Be careful. It can damage your graphics card. Personally, i wouldn't do it.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 25, 2008 4:12:34 AM

I'm pretty sure you'd be trowing stability down the toilet.

Perhaps the increased speed would OC the GPUs parts, I'd be specially concerned about the memory, since it doesn't have any type of thermal protection (throttling or shutdown).
May 25, 2008 4:23:27 AM

Perfect stability doesn't concern me as much since this isn't a database or server, just a gaming machine I use for 3 hours at a time. And that OC'ing the GPU only happens on the 9600GT as far as I know (I own a GTS 320).
May 25, 2008 4:49:51 AM

I dont see it hurting your card, its only increasing the amount of info going into the card, which is underused anyhow, now maybe if we were creeping up on what a pci-express slot could handle, sure i could see that, but that aint the case.
May 25, 2008 5:12:01 AM

Ok comming from someone who actually does this, there is NO side effects at all for me.

I am in your boat as my Mobo overclocks the slot to 115MHz to run the FSB at 1333MHz. Don't listen to anyone who tells you it will do damage to the card or the board. It does not overclock the video card at all, just how fast things get to and from the card (although this is not needed as current cards don't even use the full amount at 100MHz).

You may see a tiny increase in synthetic benchmark results. The only thing is your system could possibley become unstable but not likely. You would probably start to see problems at rates over 125MHz though.

Bottom line, its fine, I do it (with an already O/C Video Card too!).
May 27, 2008 7:37:02 PM

I thought increasing the PCIe did nothing other than make the machine unstable, but I saw somewhere that some, I think older, Nvidia cards would OC with an increase in the PCIe frequency, due to being clocked off it.

An easy way to tell, and compensate for the VGA OC would be to download ATITool and check/adjust it. Yes, ATITool also works on 99% of Nvidia cards. It can also be set to decrease/increase any VGA OC on boot. It even has profiles that can be saved and enabled with hot keys. It's a nice little app.
a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2008 12:11:07 AM

^+1.
May 28, 2008 12:48:58 AM

Zorg said:
I thought increasing the PCIe did nothing other than make the machine unstable, but I saw somewhere that some, I think older, Nvidia cards would OC with an increase in the PCIe frequency, due to being clocked off it.

An easy way to tell, and compensate for the VGA OC would be to download ATITool and check/adjust it. Yes, ATITool also works on 99% of Nvidia cards. It can also be set to decrease/increase any VGA OC on boot. It even has profiles that can be saved and enabled with hot keys. It's a nice little app.

Yeah... that's the 9600GT that has that particular OC "feature", but what I'm referring to is a CPU OC due to my lousy motherboard that I have to do with until Nehalem. Anyway even though I appreciate theThiiiing's comment (a lot), I wouldn't mind a few more opinions on the subject before I convince myself to do it.
May 28, 2008 4:49:08 AM

The card I saw was not the 9600GT, but apparently it's more that one. There are no other side effects of OCing the PCIe that I am aware of, and I have looked. Just run ATITool and you will be safe.
May 28, 2008 5:44:44 AM

Thanks for the help, but you're obviously not getting the problem. Thanks anyway...
May 28, 2008 6:15:14 AM

It really doesn't increase performance at all. All your doing is making it unstable. Go ahead and run some benchmarks and see if it does anything for you. Long term effects will definitely make your card fry faster.
May 28, 2008 6:22:38 AM

It's not looking for an increase in performance, it's just that if I am to boot on 333FSB with this board that I have, it forces me to set the PCI-E bus on 115 otherwise it won't POST. (Yeah I know... it's a POS of a board)

In this case, I would say I'm looking to keep my OC (CPU) stable this way, but I don't know what it'll do besides grant more bandwidth, that's why I'm asking.
May 28, 2008 7:41:08 AM

Just make sure you have good warranty on your card then. :p 
May 28, 2008 9:10:45 AM

emp said:
Thanks for the help, but you're obviously not getting the problem. Thanks anyway...
What?

Tell me if I'm not getting it. You have a cheap mobo and can't lock the PCIe to 100Mhz so it rises with the increase in FSB. You are concerned that you might damage something. Is that correct? Yes I know it is.

As I said, you will not damage anything unless you have one of the few VGAs that increases it's clock with the increase in the PCIe.

So, to cover you for the only thing that might be a problem, download ATITool and check the clock frequency of your VGA to see if it is overclocked. If it is, then use ATITool to bring it back down to stock.

What specifically don't I understand? What else are you looking for?
May 28, 2008 9:03:58 PM

Now I get what you meant, I didn't know why you wanted me to use Atitool. I'll give it a shot, I'm pretty sure that it only applies to the 9600GT (at least in recent years). Any idea where to check exactly for these clocks?
May 28, 2008 10:32:33 PM

Right on the main page.

!