Sign in with
Your question

WHY does the battery on the motherboard matter?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 8, 2008 11:01:07 PM

Here is the deal. A computer at my workplace would not boot up after shutting down. It would boot up if I waited at least ten minutes or more. My supervisor said to change the battery and the problem was gone. When I asked him why, he said he didn't know and the only reason why he suggested it was because he fixed another computer with the same problem. Do any of you know why? Thank you for your time.
a b V Motherboard
July 8, 2008 11:17:35 PM

Battery supplies power to your BIOS chip which detects your hardware when you boot the computer. No battery, no saved preconfigured BIOS settings.
July 9, 2008 5:54:32 AM

I thought that the battery only supplies power to the CMOS chips and keeps track of time. The BIOS is supplied by another source for its power.
Related resources
July 11, 2008 6:10:38 AM

The BIOS is powered by a on-board battery for several reasons.

1)It's not a hard-disk drive or normal memory, so if the power cuts out, the BIOS memory will be "flashed" and all the variable data would be lost.

2) It provides a stable and reliable power source, which helps "buffer" the BIOS from any damage due to a power surge.

Oh yeah, make sure you set the cpu shutdown temperature to 60-65 C. I forgot this once while OC'ing my computer, nearly burnt-out my cpu : :??: 

Hope this answers your question!
July 11, 2008 7:31:28 AM

The only thing the battery does it to power the real time clock/cmos memory, so the content won't be lost when you cut the main power.
April 21, 2013 9:39:24 AM

you my friends are life savers!!!! i had a pre bios loop that i was unable to even begin where to look. after sumbling on your blog and removing the battery bios came back up... in my eyes you guys are gods!!! now off to the store to get a new battery... thank you thank you thank you
!