Dual or Quad?

New to the forums :).

I was about to start a custom build and I was wondering if I could get your advice. I am having a problem deciding if I should go for dual or quad core

dual:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ operating at 3.2 GHz

OR

quad:
AMD Phenom 9550 operating at 2.2 GHz
-------------------------------

I was watching a video online about how games and programs in general will soon be utilizing dual and quad core systems to the full. I know that if I get the dual core I'll be safe for now, but what about the future? Which one is more future-proof?

Also, if I am using XP (I am planning on a dual boot with Vista when all the kinks are ironed out) which one will be faster for me now?

I'd love to get your thoughts on this.

The rest of my system:
600 watt PS
ASUS M2N SLI nForce 560
2 gigs or RAM
8800 GT
250 gig HD
Windows XP
10 answers Last reply
More about dual quad
  1. Puules said:
    New to the forums :).

I was about to start a custom build and I was wondering if I could get your advice. I am having a problem deciding if I should go for dual or quad core

dual:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ operating at 3.2 GHz

OR

quad:
    AMD Phenom 9550 operating at 2.2 GHz
    -------------------------------

I was watching a video online about how games and programs in general will soon be utilizing dual and quad core systems to the full. I know that if I get the dual core I'll be safe for now, but what about the future? Which one is more future-proof?

Also, if I am using XP (I am planning on a dual boot with Vista when all the kinks are ironed out) which one will be faster for me now?

I'd love to get your thoughts on this.

The rest of my system:
    600 watt PS
    ASUS M2N SLI nForce 560
    2 gigs or RAM
    8800 GT
    250 gig HD
    Windows XP

I would go with the X2 6400+. The Phenoms are something that I would be skipping if I was buying AMD. If you could manage a higher clocked one then maybe, but since those things dont OC well the 6400+ will server you better imo.

Best,

3Ball
  2. well, im assuming you would be using the computer for games...for now, the 6400+ will certainly outperform the 9550 in current video games...to tell you the truth im not quite sure how long it will be until games are optimized in order to effectively use all four cores...that being said, there are other programs (not games) that really take advantage of the four cores...
  3. Look up some benchmarks, the 6400+ slaughters the phenoms right now. Unless of course you can get your hands on a 9850 and clock it up to ~3ghz.
  4. "which one will be faster for me now? "

6400+
  5. The vga card is much more important for gaming than the cpu.
    Overclocking is good for bragging, but it will not net you as much increase
    in FPS as a better vga card will. Today, very few games can make use of more than two cores.
    Flight simulator X is an exception. It is not a trivial matter to code multi threaded programs,
    and game vendors will not sell too many games that require quads to run.
    I don't see this changing in the next couple of years, and then nehalem will be upon us.

Net: dual core for the increased clock speed.
  6. Actually, many non-quad-optimized games also show improvement on quad, due to supporting modules being moved to spare cores, thus freeing up dedicated cores for the heavy process. The performance gain just isn't nearly as high as on the handful of officially quad-optimized games already out (Lost Planet, Supreme Commander, etc.).

Unreal 3. It's one of the more popular engines used by games, and shows small gain on quad.
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3127&p=4
  7. bump your ram to 4GB (If you like the eye candy in your games) allot newer games like AoC,CoD4 and Crysis take up 1-2GB of ram after playing for a wile. (with high settings)
  8. 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103773
    $85 with promo code EMCAGBABC ($40 off) valid till 06/16/2008

That's around $60 (or almost halfway toward another 8800 gt!) less than the X2 6400+.

I don't think you will notice any difference. What resolution do you game ??
  9. ^wow...thats a great deal!!!! you should definitely move on that promo code deal...
  10. of no one has mentioned it yet, computerpoweruser had an article on it, i think just this month, and convinced me that getting a quad really does have a positive effect on gaming and i switched form a wolfdale to a yorkfield.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Quad Product