Sign in with
Your question

PC Saying two different hard drive capacities??

Last response: in Storage
August 5, 2009 12:16:00 AM

I upgraded from a 120GB drive to a 250GB drive but my computer is giving me two different capacities now. I have attached a screen cap to show the problem better than I can explain it..

More about : hard drive capacities

August 5, 2009 1:27:29 AM

since your drive is named R60, do you have a Lenovo R60 laptop? the reason I bring it up is that manufacturers sometimes give you an image restore disk to reinstall windows and not a true installer. It's better in some ways since programs and settings will be the same as the original state when the image was taken, but if you install the same image on a hard drive that is higher capacity than the original image, the system won't recognize it anywhere else but in the management window as you are seeing.

Not sure if there's an "easy" fix for this, but the "sure" fix for it is to get a windows XP installer and reformat the drive. Of course make sure you do the necessary backing up beforehand.
m
l
August 5, 2009 1:52:16 AM

Dammm yes that is what happened. This drive was imaged. Will I run in to problems when I have more than 111GB on the drive?? Or will it work out ok?

Eventually I will put a new OS on this and will solve this issue. Thanks
m
l
August 5, 2009 2:30:46 AM

russap5 said:
Dammm yes that is what happened. This drive was imaged. Will I run in to problems when I have more than 111GB on the drive?? Or will it work out ok?

Eventually I will put a new OS on this and will solve this issue. Thanks

I can't think of any problems you'd run into with your drive the way it is. Since the system is only recognizing 111GB, I don't think it will let you use the rest of it.

I thought about the issue some more, and there might be a way you can resize your partition and create a second partition, though it would have to be done with 3rd party software, and I don't know if there are any reliable free versions that will work for you.

It might be more trouble than it's worth, so unless you really need that extra 100GB, you should be fine waiting until you have a chance for a full reformat.
m
l
Related resources
!