Sign in with
Your question

Second install of XP not in the list..

Last response: in Windows XP
September 9, 2010 5:08:05 AM

I have two hard drives, each has a copy of XP on it, only one of them show up in the Choose OS list, I have to enter biod and manually boot from the other hdd to get windows loaded from that hard drive. any idea?
thank you.

More about : install list

September 9, 2010 8:28:35 AM

You manually selected each drive in the BIOS to be the boot drive when you installed Windows on them.

The MBR and boot.ini of each drive sees itself as the only installation there is.

You should have left one drive as the boot drive and installed Windows to the second drive when Setup gave the opportunity to choose where to install Windows. The resultant Boot.ini would have sent the computer to the second drive at boot time if it was selected from the dual-boot list at startup time.

Now you must fix this using the repair console, "bootcfg" process. Start repair console and enter Bootcfg for instructions.
m
l
September 9, 2010 5:57:52 PM

Bootcfg as in bios? where is the repair console for this?
Thank you
m
l
Related resources
September 9, 2010 6:32:00 PM

Bootcfg as in Windows repair console. You have the choice of loading it when you boot from the XP CD.
m
l
September 9, 2010 8:12:53 PM

oh yeah that, see iv been doing a lot of stuff the past 2 days, and at some point i actually did that, i belive i tried it before when i had a ntlrd is missing.. thank you i will try this again sense ntlrd is not missing anymore
m
l
!