MSI 8800GT or XFX 8800GT 512mb

_1983

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Hi there need help in selecting my new 8800GT stuck between the XFX or MSI which one is the best to get
I just sent my MSI 8800GT with the STD Nvidia stock cooler back since it was crashing and overheating so now
I see that both brands have decent coolers on it. SO WHICH ONE IS BETTER

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127329&Tpk=MSI%2b8800GT

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150280

Well I stay in South Africa where dealers like to rip off end users with warranty's ect
the MSI Cards in SA has a 1 year warranty and the XFX has a 3 year warranty other
than that dont really see much of the difference.

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
xfx....msi have weird issues like the ones u stated.plus ma one of my msi product died after 4 months of use.....that may just be bad luck but i heard a few complaints about msi boards malfunctioning

col-p-todd

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I went with 2 of those XFX cards and got 2 fanmates to have the fan run silent at 18dBa. And XFX has the best warranty in the GPU industry.

_1983

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
But the distributers in South Africa called Pinnacle Micro only give there MSI VGA Cards 1 year warranty and there mainboards 3 year warranty so you guys say the XFX is a better bet and I have a spare fanmate 2 with me since it came with my CPU Cooler

pauldh

Illustrious
Without doubt I would take the MSI if priced the same. That quad pipe, cooler is the better cooler for sure. The XFX doesn't vent any air out of the case (MSI vents some) and it is a 2 wire fan, meaning it runs 100% all the time.

Even in the USA facing lifetime warranty for the XFX, I would buy the MSI.

pauldh

Illustrious
The fanmate won't directly connect to that card, but you can make a adapter harness or splice the wires to connect it. Good option I use a fanmate and homemade harness with my XFX 8800GS.

twanto

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2002
Personally i just made the same decision- I went with MSI because of the better cooler. I would not worry about warranty- first electronics usually fail within the first couple months IF they are going to fail due to shoddy workmanship or parts. Second I have used MSI's warranty service in the past that their customer service is fantastic. They gave me NO hassle and fixed my mobo. Granted this is in the US so YMMV elsewhere. I have owned more MSI products than XFX but I think both companies make quality products.

_1983

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Ok kewl so its back to MSI again well what I like about the MSI is the dual slot cooler and ive owned both XFX and MSI Cards and they both failed on me so its a hard choice Well I hope the distributer brings in the MSI with Dual Slot Cooler