Losing CD-or DVD

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I keep losing my CD drive sometimes it works but mostly doesn't. I have
uninstalled from Device Manager but still it does not read it any ideas
They are hooked up properly as slave & master also. I am running XP Pro SP2
Thanks
12 answers Last reply
More about losing
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Hi,

    See if this helps:
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

    Under section 8 - Problems - there is a link to a patch that often resolves
    this problem

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I keep losing my CD drive sometimes it works but mostly doesn't. I have
    >uninstalled from Device Manager but still it does not read it any ideas
    > They are hooked up properly as slave & master also. I am running XP Pro
    > SP2
    > Thanks

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Ideally your CD drive and Hard drive should not be slaved together but each
    connected with it's own cable. Hard drive to the IDE1 port and CD drive to
    the IDE2 port.

    "Me2Ewe" wrote:

    > I keep losing my CD drive sometimes it works but mostly doesn't. I have
    > uninstalled from Device Manager but still it does not read it any ideas
    > They are hooked up properly as slave & master also. I am running XP Pro SP2
    > Thanks

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    sorry I meant my CD-ROM & DVD-RW are together but the DVDalways shows and is
    primary/Master
    "jerryrock" <jerryrock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ideally your CD drive and Hard drive should not be slaved together but
    > each
    > connected with it's own cable. Hard drive to the IDE1 port and CD drive to
    > the IDE2 port.
    >
    > "Me2Ewe" wrote:
    >
    >> I keep losing my CD drive sometimes it works but mostly doesn't. I have
    >> uninstalled from Device Manager but still it does not read it any ideas
    >> They are hooked up properly as slave & master also. I am running XP Pro
    >> SP2
    >> Thanks

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Hi
    This will not work if you have sp1 or sp2 installed it said after I
    installed it

    > Hi,
    >
    > See if this helps:
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm
    >
    > Under section 8 - Problems - there is a link to a patch that often
    > resolves this problem
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I keep losing my CD drive sometimes it works but mostly doesn't. I have
    >>uninstalled from Device Manager but still it does not read it any ideas
    >> They are hooked up properly as slave & master also. I am running XP Pro
    >> SP2
    >> Thanks

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Try it anyways, it may still help, and it certainly won't harm anything.

    --

    > Hi
    > This will not work if you have sp1 or sp2 installed it said after I
    > installed it

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> See if this helps:
    >> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm
    >>
    >> Under section 8 - Problems - there is a link to a patch that often
    >> resolves this problem
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>I keep losing my CD drive sometimes it works but mostly doesn't. I have
    >>>uninstalled from Device Manager but still it does not read it any ideas
    >>> They are hooked up properly as slave & master also. I am running XP Pro
    >>> SP2
    >>> Thanks

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    It would not let me an error message came up saying I did not need it
    because I have SP2 and to close program
    > Try it anyways, it may still help, and it certainly won't harm anything.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> This will not work if you have sp1 or sp2 installed it said after I
    >> installed it
    >>
    >> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> See if this helps:
    >>> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm
    >>>
    >>> Under section 8 - Problems - there is a link to a patch that often
    >>> resolves this problem
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Best of Luck,

    >>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>>
    >>> "Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    I had the same problem once!
    You've experienced this problem after a clean installation of XP?

    "Me2Ewe" wrote:

    > I keep losing my CD drive sometimes it works but mostly doesn't. I have
    > uninstalled from Device Manager but still it does not read it any ideas
    > They are hooked up properly as slave & master also. I am running XP Pro SP2
    > Thanks

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 05:46:02 -0700, Grego wrote:

    > I had the same problem once!
    > You've experienced this problem after a clean installation of XP?

    Me too. On my system, it was a virtual CD program that insisted on taking
    the first letter after the hard drive volumes. Uninstalled the program to
    see the "real" drives. Changed their letters so that they were down in the
    alphabet - leaving a space between the letters for local volumes and these
    drives. Reinstalled the virtual CD program and all turned out well.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    I got rid of my 4 Daemon drives and still cannot get it to show my CD it
    shows my DVDRW but not CD-ROM?
    Any other ideas please
    > On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 05:46:02 -0700, Grego wrote:
    >
    >> I had the same problem once!
    >> You've experienced this problem after a clean installation of XP?
    >
    > Me too. On my system, it was a virtual CD program that insisted on taking
    > the first letter after the hard drive volumes. Uninstalled the program to
    > see the "real" drives. Changed their letters so that they were down in the
    > alphabet - leaving a space between the letters for local volumes and these
    > drives. Reinstalled the virtual CD program and all turned out well.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:29:41 -0600, Me2Ewe wrote:

    > I got rid of my 4 Daemon drives and still cannot get it to show my CD it
    > shows my DVDRW but not CD-ROM?
    > Any other ideas please

    Did you try the cdgone utility Rick referred you to? This tool removes
    filters added to the registry by different burning software packages. After
    uninstalling one of those programs, the filters are left behind instead of
    restored in a manner that allows XP to see the drives again. This is the
    most common fix for disappearing drives or drives that do not show up in
    Explorer at all.

    Also, if not using 3rd party burning software, check that the IMAPI service
    is enabled. If you are using 3rd party burning software, would suggest
    checking out online support for those programs to see if they have
    suggestions on how to get the drives recognized (methods will vary
    depending on the program being used).

    One other stray thought: I had a single cdburner/dvdreader installed with
    the OEM copy of Nero. When I installed a second drive - a dvdburner, the
    designation of the drives was messed up. With research at Nero's site, I
    found out that the purchased version of Nero was needed to support *both*
    drives as their OEM copies are often tied to one drive only.

    One more thought: Check cabling. Use a different IDE cable to eliminate the
    possibility of a bad cable causing the problem.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    "Did you try the cdgone utility Rick referred you to? This tool removes
    filters added to the registry by different burning software packages."
    I did hat installed both items and now get an error message when I start up
    that say Error on top & has a red X with product not installed beside it
    and an Okay button under it to click.
    "check that the IMAPI service is enabled"
    How do you do that?

    > On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:29:41 -0600, Me2Ewe wrote:
    >
    >> I got rid of my 4 Daemon drives and still cannot get it to show my CD it
    >> shows my DVDRW but not CD-ROM?
    >> Any other ideas please
    >
    > Did you try the cdgone utility Rick referred you to? This tool removes
    > filters added to the registry by different burning software packages.
    > After
    > uninstalling one of those programs, the filters are left behind instead of
    > restored in a manner that allows XP to see the drives again. This is the
    > most common fix for disappearing drives or drives that do not show up in
    > Explorer at all.
    >
    > Also, if not using 3rd party burning software, check that the IMAPI
    > service
    > is enabled. If you are using 3rd party burning software, would suggest
    > checking out online support for those programs to see if they have
    > suggestions on how to get the drives recognized (methods will vary
    > depending on the program being used).
    >
    > One other stray thought: I had a single cdburner/dvdreader installed with
    > the OEM copy of Nero. When I installed a second drive - a dvdburner, the
    > designation of the drives was messed up. With research at Nero's site, I
    > found out that the purchased version of Nero was needed to support *both*
    > drives as their OEM copies are often tied to one drive only.
    >
    > One more thought: Check cabling. Use a different IDE cable to eliminate
    > the
    > possibility of a bad cable causing the problem.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:56:55 -0600, Me2Ewe wrote:

    > "Did you try the cdgone utility Rick referred you to? This tool removes
    > filters added to the registry by different burning software packages."
    > I did hat installed both items and now get an error message when I start up
    > that say Error on top & has a red X with product not installed beside it
    > and an Okay button under it to click.

    If you have third party burning software installed, reinstall it.

    > "check that the IMAPI service is enabled"
    > How do you do that?

    Start> Run> services.msc
    Scroll to IMAPI service. Right click, select properties and change startup
    type to manual or automatic.

    NOTE: If you use third party burning software, its presence and successful
    operation may require this service to be disabled or set to manual startup
    type. Usually the installation of the burning software makes the necessary
    changes for you. Some can happily co-exist with this running but others
    will disable the Windows CD burning.

    Additional if using third party software: Check their online tech support
    for more info about getting drives recognized and running with their
    software.

    Additional info about using XP CD burning only: Right click drive icon for
    burner and select Properties. Check the necessary box to enable CD burning
    on drive.

    Don't discount the hardware aspects too quickly:
    Possible problem with IDE cables:
    -Even the vibration of normal use can cause cable to wiggle loose. A simple
    reseating of cables may be all that is needed.
    -A kink or pinch in a cable can cause a wire to break. Try a different
    cable.

    Placement of drives on controllers:
    -Some are very finicky about being in master or slave position. Check
    documentation and online tech support for more info.
    -Putting two recorders on the same controller works in most cases but once
    in a while you run across combinations that simply will not work
    "together."

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

DVD Microsoft Customization CD-Rom Windows XP