High Temps for WD Caviar Green 1.5TB

breakthestatic

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
Hey guys,
I recently purchased the 1.5TB WD Caviar Green (WD15EADS) and installed it in my Antec NSK2480 HTPC case. I noticed that after a few hours the temperature of the drive gets pretty high (45-48c), whereas the 1TB Samsung drive I have in the next bay over stays around 30-31c. Is this something to be concerned about? Both drives get approximately the same amount of airflow. Should I consider installing an extra fan in front of the drive or are those temperatures normal after moderate bittorrent/hd movie playback use.

Solution
Feel with your hands how warm they really are. If they do get the same amount of airflow, the WD Green drive should be cooler. It could be just a bad temperature sensor.

If the WD Green really gets warm, please make sure it is tightly attached to the metal casing where it is mounted. This way alot of heat is transmitted too, not just from the airflow directly over the drives.

Ideally, disks shouldn't be warmer that would cause you to stop touching the surface, it may be warm but not so warm it hurts. That's a good rule of thumb. But the most important thing is that heating/cooling doesn't happen to rapidly, as its metal contraction/expansion which is the real problem here.

sub mesa

Distinguished
Feel with your hands how warm they really are. If they do get the same amount of airflow, the WD Green drive should be cooler. It could be just a bad temperature sensor.

If the WD Green really gets warm, please make sure it is tightly attached to the metal casing where it is mounted. This way alot of heat is transmitted too, not just from the airflow directly over the drives.

Ideally, disks shouldn't be warmer that would cause you to stop touching the surface, it may be warm but not so warm it hurts. That's a good rule of thumb. But the most important thing is that heating/cooling doesn't happen to rapidly, as its metal contraction/expansion which is the real problem here.

Solution

breakthestatic

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
Thanks for the advice! I will pop the case open when I get home to see how hot it actually is. The drive is mounted to the cage with rubber grommets for noise damping, so I guess heat transfer isn't as good with that, but the other drive is done the same way so that wouldn't explain the two temp differences. Also, it seems that the temperature increases very slowly... it will start around 30c and rise to 45c after about 2-3hrs. Oh well, here's to hoping that it isn't too hot to the touch and that its an in-accurate temp sensor ;)