Duo Core Processor vs Athlon XP?

I did not find a article on this on the site folks. My Athlon XP 1.9 ghz machine finally died. I want to go to a Duo Core machine but am having trouble understanding if I'm gaining processor ground or heading backwards. How would the AMD compare to a Duo core E2180 1.6 ghz.
If I'm taking a step back what duo core processor would I have to start with to be even or better than my old AMD 1.9?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dennis
6 answers Last reply
More about core processor athlon
  1. It will slaughter the AthlonXP performance wise. I went from a 2.088GHz AthlonXP 2800+ to a 2.0GHz Core2Duo E4400 and my overall performance sky-rocketed, you can't directly compare the frequencies, since they are very different architectures. Clock for clock the Core2Duos can handle more instructions per cycle and also being dual-core have that advantage.
  2. Hi... any C2d would be faster than your previous Athlon 1.9

check out tom's CPU charts...they'll give you an idea.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/processors/xvid-1-1-2,403.html
  3. the performance difference will be insane. I went from a pentium 4 2.6Ghz to an athlon 64 X2 4200+ (2.2Ghz). I had no idea i could have been getting things done so fast! It used to take me hours to encode a dvd. my new computer can do it in about half an hour, and that's not even all that great compared to some of the core 2's. If you could upgrade to a system using the E2180, not only will it be massively faster as is, but you could overclock it easily up to at least 3Ghz.
  4. Thanks for the help guys. And the chart link will be helpful.
    D
  5. dcahalane said:
    I did not find a article on this on the site folks. My Athlon XP 1.9 ghz machine finally died. I want to go to a Duo Core machine but am having trouble understanding if I'm gaining processor ground or heading backwards. How would the AMD compare to a Duo core E2180 1.6 ghz.
    If I'm taking a step back what duo core processor would I have to start with to be even or better than my old AMD 1.9?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Dennis

E2180 would blow a 3ghz Pentium D out of the water easy - there a mighty chip
  6. ^+1.

E2180@3.2Ghz.

Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Processors Windows XP