HD4850's Won't fit with PFE3 Deluxe Mobo and Case

zman4700

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Hello,
I have just recently purchased 2 HD4850'S and I can fit these cards into my P5E3 Deluxe mobo, but it seems like the cards back panel aren't long enough to be able to screw in, thus making me unable to but in the card. Any idea's? I am kinda of scared right now because this is my first time building a computer and the graphics card's are not fitting. My case is the thermaltake armor (the very large black one).
Thanks in advance,
Zman4700

zipz0p

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
I don't have these cards, board, nor case, but from the pictures of the motherboard on Newegg, it looks like you may have issues with the top card running into the memory slot clips.

If the video outs are not close enough to the slots in the back of the case, it's likely that you put the whole motherboard in wrong, unless the other I/O things fit properly.... some pics would help, or a more detailed description of the issue and what you have done and tried so far.

zman4700

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Photo134.jpg

Here you can see in the back of the blue how its not fitting all the way in because the backplate is not large enough to let the card go all the way down into the motherboard.

Photo136.jpg

Here you can see the two cards.

Photo142.jpg

In this picture you can see how the backplates are not large enough. I am letting them rest on the top piece of metal where you screw in the backplate but when I do that I can not fit the card all the way in.

Photo144.jpg

This last picture sums up everything I'm talking about, the card simply just won't fit as you can see.

zman4700

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
I just pried back the tip of the back plate so the card could fit in the motherboard completely, but now I have another problem. I can't screw the cards in. Is it safe to leave 2 graphics cards in crossfire like that and not have them screwed in? I need to know this before I start up my computer.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Is your motherboard on the proper standoffs? If the motherboard wasnt on standoffs it would cause that problem. From the looks of the pics it looks like your about a standoff length away from fitting.

zipz0p

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
Good call roadrunner, that does look like the issue.

There should be standoffs that came with your case and/or motherboard. Put those between your motherboard and the motherboard tray in your case.

zman4700

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
I got an open box product so I don't know all of the right screws and standoffs I need. Also, I just looked at the online guide of the motherboard and it said nothing about standoffs.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
For every hole in the motherboard there will generally be a corresponding standoff which will mount to the backplate in your system case, which you can then place the motherboard against and screw to the standoffs.

Before screwing in any standoffs make sure that any standoffs which you have attached to the backplate of your case are only corresponding to mounting holes on the motherboard, and not touching surfaces where there are no mounting holes.

Goto your motherboard manufactuer's website, get their manual, and read it thoroughly on installation. You should've done this before you started if this is your first system build as you could've done a great deal of damage to your motherboard if you weren't careful/didn't know better.

zman4700

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Could somebody direct me to where I could buy some brass standoffs and any other screws or objects need to screw in my P5E3 Deluxe intel motherboard?
Thanks,
Zman4700

zipz0p

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
Good lord, Zman! You obviously have at least one working computer and an internet connection. Let me introduce you to a friendly site:

http://www.google.com/

I got partway through typing "motherboard standoff" into the search bar and realized that you should be doing this. Sheesh.

zman4700

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Look this isn't for me its all a birthday present for a friend so cut me a little slack here please, I know nothing about computers right now.

zman4700

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
No he bought the stuff. I offered to help build it for him but little problems are making it harder than I thought it would be.

pcgamer12

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Align the motherboard to the standoffs. You have put in all screws in all standoffs and screw them all in slightly. Then align it, once aligned start screwing them in holding down the aligned board. Then put the cards in, may need to wiggle and a tiny bit of pressure and screw the cards in.

zman4700

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
thanks pc gamer and thank you everyone in this thread. I now know all of this important information for the future!!