quad core questions

when i put the computer together to optimize performance. i know that age of conan only uses at most 1.5 cores from my research and that since the processor i decided to get is future based being it a quad core q9300 running at 2.5. i wanted to know what i should do in terms of operating system and over clock rate, with the cooling devices below im not quite sure how far i could push it without making it unstable or causing damage. i want to try and get it to 3ghz at least but wanted an experts opinion. the reason i ask about the operating system is because i know that xp handles gaming better atm then vista does when running them side by side and i also know that vista is a bitch when it comes to giving out memory to programs, but i remembered that you could specify what cores would be doing what and that also brought of the question of 32 or 64 bit operating systems. please if you can think about what i asked and get back to me Thanks!!! ,i could be wrong about any of my above assumptions so any ones opinion is useful thanks

-LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DH-20A4P-04 - OEM

-Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

-2x Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500AAKS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

-CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply - Retail

-G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop
-Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI - Retail

-DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

-Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80580Q9300

-XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail

- and an Ati Radeon HD 4870 512mb when it comes out
6 answers Last reply
More about quad core questions
  1. get a GA-P35-DS3L and 1 fast HDD like the WD 6400AAKS. With a good HSF, set voltages to auto and overclock your processor. At the price, better get the Q9450 or the Q6600, the Q6600 has higher multiplier than Q9300 and more cache. It's Q6600 or the Q9450, just look at the amount of reviews for Q6600 on newegg, you can't possibly go wrong.
  2. e8400
  3. thats great and all changing the build, but the question still stands about which operationg systems to use and what it could be safely overclocked to
  4. My Q6600 clocked to 3Ghz easy with a small voltage bump and the temps are acceptable with the Cooler I have.
  5. If you're only looking for a 3.0Ghz overclock, Q6600 is more than enough for you. Its currently on sale at MicroCenter for 200 bucks.

You may also want a new CPU cooler. Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme is worthy to take a look at.

As for operating system, I actually recommend Vista over XP. Sure Vista is not as efficient and light as XP when it comes to resources, but given that most games utilize DX10 now, it won't be long when games become Vista exclusive. Also, with the power of your build, it should handle games on par with XP.

You may want to stick to the 64bit Vista though, as 32bit Vista are very buggy, and tend to crash once in a while. Just make sure you have the drivers saved, you should be fine.

Also, isn't 250GB a little too small for current data? If you have ample funds, I recommend a fast VelociRaptor as a OS / game execution disk, and a 500GB/750GB as a data storage disk.
  6. isnt the velociraptor 300g like 300 dollars or something like that?, i was trying to stay under 1000 dollars about as my budget which this current build fits into with about $100 dollars in leeway, i have a couple external hard disks already so storage isnt a problem really and im not sure is the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme better then the current cooler i have planned and if so what is the price comparison, the only qualms i have with 64 bit vista is that for one vista is a resource hog and has alot of overhead and 64 bit version lacks alot of drivers, so im just trying to get a consensus of alot of others peoples opinions toward each system and version,

the reason i was going for a 3.0 ghz overclock at least is because i just want to have a nice system that can place age of conan without noticeable lag, just good old gaming and no lag lol would 3.0ghz be to little?

and also how high would be considered safe to overclock it to without having to change to some other form of coolant
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Quad Core