Finally flying at speed...

Last response: in Video Games
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 30, 2005 1:57:53 AM

Functional slot cap is 4, right? Finally at level 48, with greened up
51+ enhancements in each, finally flying at what seems like a
super-guy-ish speed over the landscape. Especially fun at street level,
but wow it took forever...

More about : finally flying speed

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 30, 2005 1:46:05 PM

"MarkH10178" <MarkHammerschmidt@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Functional slot cap is 4, right? Finally at level 48, with greened up
> 51+ enhancements in each, finally flying at what seems like a
> super-guy-ish speed over the landscape. Especially fun at street level,
> but wow it took forever...

I've played a bit and I've always noticed that the travel powers are mostly
well balanced except for teleport, which costs too much endurance to use.
If you balance speed of travel, utility (how well you can avoid danger with
it), endurance cost and complexity (how hard the power is to use)
and assign each value a 1-3 rank (low,medium, high) it looks like this:

Flight is low speed, has the high utility, medium endurance cost, low
complexity (7 points)
Super Speed fast speed, has low utility, and low endurance cost, medium
complexity (7 points)
Super Jump is medium speed, medium utility, and low endurace cost, medium
complexity (7 points)
Teleport is fast speed, medium utility, and high endurance, high complexity
(10 points)

overall Superjump is the most useful (in my own opinion) but Flight is the
most fun.
Anyone else want to chime in on this?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 30, 2005 2:14:10 PM

"That Guy" <thewall@charter.net> wrote in

> "MarkH10178" <MarkHammerschmidt@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Functional slot cap is 4, right? Finally at level 48, with greened up
>> 51+ enhancements in each, finally flying at what seems like a
>> super-guy-ish speed over the landscape. Especially fun at street
>> level, but wow it took forever...
>>
> I've played a bit and I've always noticed that the travel powers are
> mostly well balanced except for teleport, which costs too much
> endurance to use. If you balance speed of travel, utility (how well
> you can avoid danger with it), endurance cost and complexity (how hard
> the power is to use) and assign each value a 1-3 rank (low,medium,
> high) it looks like this:
>
> Flight is low speed, has the high utility, medium endurance cost, low
> complexity (7 points)
> Super Speed fast speed, has low utility, and low endurance cost,
> medium complexity (7 points)
> Super Jump is medium speed, medium utility, and low endurace cost,
> medium complexity (7 points)
> Teleport is fast speed, medium utility, and high endurance, high
> complexity (10 points)
>
> overall Superjump is the most useful (in my own opinion) but Flight is
> the most fun.
> Anyone else want to chime in on this?

I agree. Either the cost needs to lower, or the range better (I'd rather
see a range increase). I tried to cross the long way in Sky, and had to
stop twice. (Only 2 slotted DO w/range, a level 20 with no stanima)
Still, almost all my heroes have SJ, and I've never slotted it once! (Yes,
I buy jump whne I can afford it, but I've never added a slot!)

Anyone ever timed the various powers to cross one of the longer zones???

/ David Simpson \
| City of Heroes, Basic Stamp, RPGs, War Games |
| dsimpson@NOnyxSPAM.net |
| http://www.nyx.net/~dsimpson |
\____________________________________________/
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 30, 2005 7:24:31 PM

"That Guy" <thewall@charter.net> wrote in

> "MarkH10178" <MarkHammerschmidt@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Functional slot cap is 4, right? Finally at level 48, with greened up
>> 51+ enhancements in each, finally flying at what seems like a
>> super-guy-ish speed over the landscape. Especially fun at street
>> level, but wow it took forever...
>>
> I've played a bit and I've always noticed that the travel powers are
> mostly well balanced except for teleport, which costs too much
> endurance to use. If you balance speed of travel, utility (how well
> you can avoid danger with it), endurance cost and complexity (how hard
> the power is to use) and assign each value a 1-3 rank (low,medium,
> high) it looks like this:
>
> Flight is low speed, has the high utility, medium endurance cost, low
> complexity (7 points)
> Super Speed fast speed, has low utility, and low endurance cost,
> medium complexity (7 points)
> Super Jump is medium speed, medium utility, and low endurace cost,
> medium complexity (7 points)
> Teleport is fast speed, medium utility, and high endurance, high
> complexity (10 points)
>
> overall Superjump is the most useful (in my own opinion) but Flight is
> the most fun.
> Anyone else want to chime in on this?

Agreed - I find SJ to be the most useful by far - the only toon that
doesn't have it is my blaster, who uses a mix of flight and hover for an
aerial firing platform. (Though, I guess with the last set of changes,
there's really no need to change back and forth, now that there's no acc
debuff while using flight, right ? )

Since my jump is bound to right mouse button, I can whip through caves,
office buildings, etc, with SJ pretty much the same as SS, with the added
benefit of the Z axis, should I choose/need :)

--
Marc Bissonnette
CGI / Database / Web Management Tools: http://www.internalysis.com

That Guy schrieb:

> overall Superjump is the most useful (in my own opinion) but Flight is the
> most fun.
> Anyone else want to chime in on this?

I used to use Super Jump but wanted my blaster to be able to fight in
mid-air. So I specced out the jump pool and got flight and super speed
instead.

Boy, did I regret this. Not because of flight's speed. It really feels
slower than super jumping but I could live with that. What puts me off
flight and super speed is the lack of the two protection powers from the
jump pool: combat jumping and acrobatics. Those two powers don't look
uber at the first glance. But now that I know the difference of fighting
with and without them I will go to the jump pool with every hero from
now on. CoT missions are soloable with CJ and Acrobatics for me. Without
these powers the same missions are undoable for me.

~T.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 31, 2005 7:22:43 AM

"MarkH10178" <MarkHammerschmidt@yahoo.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>Functional slot cap is 4, right?

Right.
For non-regens I tended to have 5 slots, 4 flight speed and one end
reducer. First extra slot went in at the DO level so I could have 2 Do
end reducers, other 3 came later.

>Finally at level 48, with greened up
>51+ enhancements in each, finally flying at what seems like a
>super-guy-ish speed over the landscape. Especially fun at street level,

Until a level 14 superspeeder runs past you...

>but wow it took forever...

It all depends on when you slot it.

My regen scrapper didn't slot it up until she was mapping out the shadow
shard and the slow speed became excessively painful.
The invuln tanker on the other hand slotted it up in the early 30's
(since she wasn't finding the slots as necessary in def/res powers, and
the speed was getting annoying. )

Xocyll
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 31, 2005 7:35:37 AM

David Simpson <dsimpson@NOnyx.SPAMnet> looked up from reading the
say:
<snip>
>Anyone ever timed the various powers to cross one of the longer zones???

With the right slotting and binds, teleport wins this by a large margin.

Of course it's the one that really _needs_ slotting up and requires
special binds and is horrible if you have any lag issues.

Xocyll